Monday, May 19, 2014
- by B.B. Branton
Six Chattanooga prep tennis teams have hopes of bringing home state championships during Spring Fling XXI this week at Old Fort Park Tennis Complex in Murfreesboro.
In D-II AA its both Baylor teams along with GPS and McCallie, while the Hxson boys are competing in D-I A-AA as are the Notre Dame girls.
Baylor girls look for their fourth straight title, Notre Dame girls also won a championship in 2012 and Hixson boys is competing at the state for the first time.
50th Anniv. of Girls State Tennis Tournament - first championship was 1964 as Lynne Gregory won singles to lead David Lipscomb to the girls team title ...
If You Are Going
Spring Fling Tennis - Murfreesboro
Team Competition - Tuesday and Wednesday
Location: Old Fort Park Tennis Complex at exit 78 on I-24
Cost: Tickets are $10 per day ... Parking is $5 per day
Times: (all times Eastern Daylight)
10 a.m. - D-II AA Girls
Noon - D-II AA Boys
2 p.m. - D-I A-AA and AAA Girls
4 p.m. - D-I A-AA and AAA Boys
* Girls D-II AA: Semis (10 a.m. EDT) - Baylor (12-1) vs. Harpeth Hall; GPS (11-4) vs. Hutchison
Defending Champion: Baylor (2011-2012-2013)
Red Raiders are odds-on favorites to win their fourth ... GPS should make the finals and face Baylor for the third time this season ... Baylor's lone loss was to a Fla. state champion at the Deco-Turf (Ky.) tournament earlier this season ...
Brother-Sister Spring Fling Combo - GPS eighth grade Maddox Bandy plays at 10 a.m. ... plenty of time to go watch her brother Lake (plays for McCallie) play at 5 p.m. vs. Christian Brothers at Wilson Central HS
* Boys D-II AA: Semis (noon EDT) - McCallie vs. MBA ... MUS vs. Baylor
Defending Champion: Memphis Univ School (2013).
MUS is heavy favorite to win its second straight ... McCallie-MBA should be a great semis match ... McCallie won the region for the first time since 2009 and beat MBA on the road.
* Girls D-II A: Semis - Knox Webb (13-0) vs. Univ. School of Nashville; St. Mary's (8-0) vs. St. Cecilia
Defending Champion: Knox Webb (2010-11-12-13)
Two undefeated teams - Knox Webb and St. Mary's should make the finals ... Four-time defending champion Webb are the favorites to win No.5 ... St. Mary's (1988-1992) is only school to win five straight ...
* Boys D-II A-AA: Semis- Knox Webb vs. BGA; Univ. School of Jackson vs. Univ. School of Nashville
Defending Champion: Knox Webb
* Girls D-I A-AA: Semis - Hume Fogg vs. CAK; Notre Dame vs. Union City
2013 Champion: Chattanooga Christian
Notre Dame beat CAK during the season and also beat CAK in the 2012 state finals ...
* Boys D-I A-AA: Semis - Hixson (14-3) vs. CPA; Knox Catholic and Trinity Christian
Hixson is making its first state tournament appearance
2013 Champion: Christian Academy of Knox.
* Girls D-I AAA: Semis - Ravenwood (10-0) vs. Houston; Siegel vs. Tenn. High
Defending Champion: Ravenwood (2010-11-12-13)
Raptors (10-0) are favorites to win a fifth ... led by Katie Fitt who will play at BYU next season.
* Boys D-I AAA: Semis - Siegel vs. Tenn. High; Germantown vs. Brentwood
Defending Champion: Brentwood (2012-13)
contact B.B. Branton at email@example.com