On Monday Life Care Centers of America gave its highest nursing honor to John Sitienei, director of nursing at Life Care Center of Plano, Texas.
The Mary Denton Award – named for the Life Care resident depicted in the company’s logo – is presented annually to one director of nursing who best symbolizes the philosophy, mission and values of Life Care.
"Director of nursing at the building for the past four years, Mr. Sitienei has led the nursing team to successful state inspections year after year.
He personally mentors and recognizes his staff for a job well done, and he encourages nursing associates to grow their skills to serve sicker patients.
"Mr. Sitienei is a resource not only for his own staff but also for the nursing departments at other Life Care-run facilities in the region," officials said.
The company also bestowed the Company-wide Director of Nursing of the Year Award on Rachel Gibney from Life Care Center of Valley View in Boise, Idaho.
"Under her leadership, the nursing department has had such good patient outcomes that the facility has been recognized as a five-star facility by Medicare and a Best Nursing Home by U.S. News & World Report.
"Ms. Gibney is especially praised training nursing staff on topics like wound care, cardiac care, end-of-life care and discharge planning, and she personally makes daily rounds to check on residents, answer their care questions and keep each of their care plans up to date, officials said"
“John and Rachel represent the pinnacle of their profession,” said Beecher Hunter, Life Care president. “The highest ideals of nursing leadership are demonstrated by their daily actions. Our company is blessed to have them, and the real beneficiaries of their talents and their love are our residents.”
These two awards were highlights of an evening honoring performance excellence at Life Care Centers of America’s corporate headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee.
Divisional Director of Nursing of the Year awards were given to seven other individuals:
• Candice Thurman – The Lane House in Crawfordsville, Indiana, for the Central Division
• Tammy Banner – Life Care Center of Banner Elk, North Carolina, for the Eastern Division
• Karen Cook – Western Hills Health Care Center in Lakewood, Colorado, for the Mountain States Division
• Tina Correia – Evergreen House Health Center in East Providence, Rhode Island, for the Northeast Division
• Jessika Booth – Life Care Center of Puyallup, Washington, for the Northwest Division
• Kathryn McCarten – Life Care Center at Inverrary in Lauderhill, Florida, for the Southeast Division
• Jennifer Mancebo – Life Care Center of Scottsdale, Arizona, for the Southwest Division
Pictured: Rachel Gibney, director of nursing at Life Care Center of Valley View in Boise, Idaho, and the company-wide director of nursing of the Year.