No injuries were reported in connection with a duplex fire in Hixson on Saturday afternoon, but the blaze left a 74-year-old woman temporarily without a home.
The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm around 2:30 p.m., and responded with five fire companies to 1320 Mayfield Lane.
Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the B-side of the duplex was fully engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. With flames shooting through the roof, the firefighters worked to contain the blaze and save the other side of the duplex. The fire was eventually brought under control, and the other apartment was saved, but the damage to the B-side was extensive. The dollar loss was estimated at roughly $60,000.
Chief Bowman said the woman lost a pet bird in the fire, and her three pet cats are missing. Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the woman, who reportedly lived alone there.
The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental. The woman told Chief Bowman that she was heating up grease to cook something and left the kitchen. When she returned, the kitchen was ablaze and all she could do was get out and call 911. Chief Bowman said it appears the stove was left unattended long enough for the grease to get too hot and it most likely burst into flames, quickly spreading throughout the kitchen.
Chattanooga Police and Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance on the scene.
- Photo2 by Captain Chris Fryar