Candle Linked To Morning House Fire In Lookout Valley

Thursday, May 08, 2014

A family in Lookout Valley was using a candle for light Thursday morning and the result was a house fire.

The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 6:35 a.m. and responded to 3613 Kellys Ferry Road with four fire companies. Battalion Chief Nate Middlebrooks said the family was in the process of moving and the power had been disconnected to the house. So they were using a candle for light, and at some point, the candle started a fire in the bathroom. Everyone got out safely and called 911.

Chattanooga firefighters arrived moments later and quickly extinguished the fire, containing the fire damage to the bathroom. The rest of the house had smoke damage. Chief Middlebrooks said the loss was estimated at only $2,000. The cause of the fire will be ruled accidental.

Here are some safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) related to candles:

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you:

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

Religious candle safety
Lit candles are used in religious services, in places of worship, and in the home. Whether you are using one candle, or more than one on a candelabra, kinara, or menorah, make sure you take a few moments to learn about using candles safely.

  • Candles should be placed in a sturdy candle holder.
  • Handheld candles should not be passed from one person to another at any time.
  • When lighting candles at a candle lighting service, have the person with the unlit candle dip their candle into the flame of the lit candle.
  • Lit candles should not be placed in windows where a blind or curtain could catch fire.
  • Candles placed on, or near tables, altars, or shrines, must be watched by an adult.
  • Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep.
  • If a candle must burn continuously, be sure it is enclosed in a glass container and placed in a sink, on a metal tray, or in a deep basin filled with water.


Early Morning Fire Damages Hixson Home

Fire caused substantial damage to a Hixson home early Saturday morning. Fortunately, no one was injured. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 3 a.m. and responded to 6208 North Innsbrook Drive with five fire companies. Battalion Chief Charles Patten said smoke and flames were visible in the attached garage when the first firefighters arrived. The two ... (click for more)

Marcus Davis Shot On Walker Avenue Friday Night

Marcus Davis, 25,  was shot Friday night on Walker Avenue. At approximately 10:52 p.m., Chattanooga Police responded to the 1900 block of Walker Avenue on a person shot call.  The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the left knee, and was transported to a local hospital with the non-life-threatening injury. Chattanooga Police ask anyone with information regarding ... (click for more)

Mackey Should Be Thankful For The State Troopers On Highway 153

This is in response to a statement made by Warren Mackey at the commission meeting.  His question was to the mayor regarding the state troopers writing tickets on Highway 153, saying they were on a rampage.   It is apparent that Mr. Mackey doesn’t travel this highway.  His only concern was that the ticket money was going into state funds and not into county funds. ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: A Must-Read For Parents

If you have a child or if you love one, what you are about to read could be one of the most important lessons in your life. I have a great friend in Dallas – Sandy Pohfal – who regularly shares stories with me that are moving, inspirational or important. This is all three. This story was written by a celebrated author, Christie Craig. She has written hundreds of articles for ... (click for more)

Signal Mountain "Grounds" East Hamilton, 28-19

Signal Mountain was determined to run the football and take time off the clock Friday night in the second half of its 28-19 non-district victory over rival East Hamilton before a standing-room-only crowd at Hurricane Hill. “That’s our kind of football,” Eagles coach Bill Price said after the season opening game for both teams. “It was a tough football game and we just got out ... (click for more)

Maynor Leads Soddy Daisy Past Hixson, 49-36

If you wanted to see a lot of offense in a high school football game, then you should have been at  Soddy Daisy's Robert Talaska Field Friday night. Defense was all but non-existent on either side as the host Trojans took advantage of five touchdown passes from southpaw senior quarterback Hunter Maynor to outlast the Hixson Wildcats, 49-36. The last two minutes of the ... (click for more)