Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 1800 Wilson Street shortly after 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Lt. Wadie Suttles with Engine 4 said heavy fire was showing from the single-story, wood-frame structure. All of the residents were safely out of the house when the first firefighters arrived. As the firefighters prepared to make an interior attack, Lt. Suttles said they discovered that the hydrant they planned to use was inoperable, so they worked to hook up to the next closest hydrant.
Once their water supply was established, the firefighters got the fire under control in roughly 20 minutes. No injuries were reported. The loss was estimated at $60,000.
The cause of the fire is believed to be accidental. Lt. Suttles said a bowl of cooking oil spilled onto a stove eye, igniting into a blaze the residents could not put out.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the residents. Chattanooga Police and Hamilton County EMS provided assistance.