Choose Chattanooga: Retirees Are Only The Beginning

Thursday, June 05, 2014

Choose Chattanooga serves as the Chattanooga region's one stop resource for information on living here. We are in direct alignment with Chattanooga's vision of becoming a hub for innovation and entrepreneurship.  Each year, we receive over 4,500 requests from individuals interested in learning more about all of the reasons they should consider moving to the Chattanooga region.   

Approximately 25 percent of our inquiries come from retirees, while the other 75 percent come from businesses, young families/singles, and others interested in a lifestyle/location/career change.  The fastest growing segment of our work is now coming from the business community, either to support their recruiting efforts or from new hires that are considering taking a job.  In almost every case, Chattanooga is in competition with another community for talent.

We have found that attracting talent is very organic.  One family member's move is the anchor to attract others from the same family as well as others from their sphere of influence.  Choose Chattanooga's first initiative was as one of nine pilot counties in the Retire Tennessee program.  When our work began, interest in Tennessee was in the bottom 5 percent.  It has now climbed to the top 24 percent.  

The economic impact of this one program for one year (2010/2011), which resulted in 74 families relocating, is approximately $1.8 million and 124 jobs.  As an organization which was created to support local government and enhance economic development in the Chattanooga area, it is important to us to let the public know that the $16,900 we received from the city last year was well spent filling an unmet need and bringing new business opportunities to every sector of the community.

The staff, board and partners of Choose Chattanooga help to create "I Could Live Here" moments.  It is that moment when a guest to the Chattanooga Region turns their hope for living here… into a spark of action to relocate.  Each year, thousands of people, from all walks of life, depend on Choose Chattanooga to help them understand all the reasons there are to move to our region. We help to create those moments which bring some of the best and brightest.  That's what we do every day.

Linda Bennett, Executive Director
Choose Chattanooga


Send Your Opinions To Chattanoogan.com

We welcome your opinions at Chattanoogan.com. Email to news@chattanoogan.com . We require your real first and last name and contact information. There is no word limit, but if your article is too long you may lose your reader. Please focus more on issues than personal attacks. (click for more)

Why To Vote Yes On Amendment One

I am still troubled about an editorial of several weeks ago on how women should not have to have government tell them what they can and can’t do with their own bodies.  Today I saw the advertisement being shown in Chattanooga.  There are so many untruths in it that I can’t just sit by and do nothing.   The editor was misinformed about what the Amendment One actually ... (click for more)

Mayor Berke, Chattanooga Police Department, And Community Members Reach Out To Group Members To End Violence

The city of Chattanooga held a call-in on Thursday night, as part of the Violence Reduction Initiative. Dozens of law enforcement officials, community members, social service providers and clergy gathered to deliver a message to over 20 members of violent groups in Chattanooga. Family members of the probationers watched the call-in from another building. Although the call-in was ... (click for more)

Man Airlifted To Erlanger After Early Morning Crash In Bradley County

Bradley County EMS responded to an early morning crash Thursday at 7 a.m. at the intersection of Lauderdale Memorial Highway and Walker Valley Road in Charleston. Three ambulances and an EMS supervisor responded to the scene. There were three vehicles involved and one car left the roadway.   One adult man suffered serious injuries and it was determined that he needed ... (click for more)

Notre Dame Claims Region 4A/AA Soccer Title

Junior Sofia Olenchek scored twice, including the winning goal in the second overtime (95th minute) period as host Notre Dame defeated crosstown rival Chattanooga Christian 2-1, for the Region 4 A-AA championship Thursday night. In a well-played, physical match, CCS led at halftime, 1-0,  after senior Hannah Henry scored in the 14th minute, but Olenchek's first goal ... (click for more)

Baylor Beats Briarcrest For Shot At Father Ryan, DII-AA State Volleyball Title

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – OK, Father Ryan.  Baylor’s still hanging around. The Lady Red Raiders stormed past Briarcrest, 3-1, Thursday in the loser’s bracket final at Siegel Middle School and advanced to Friday’s Division II-AA volleyball tournament championship match. The set scores were 26-24, 25-15, 24-26, 25-15. The Lady Red Raiders lost to Father Ryan, ... (click for more)