Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire shortly after 6 a.m. Friday at 111 Wheeler Ave.
Battalion Chief Charles Patton said the fire was located on the front porch, but the flames were getting into the house through the front window.
Firefighters with four fire companies got the fire under control quickly, saving most of the house. The loss was estimated at $20,000. No injuries were reported.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. Lt. Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division said the resident dumped the cigarette butts from an ashtray into a garbage can on the front porch. A short time later, a fire broke out in the can. Lt. Waters said improperly discarded cigarette butts were the likely cause of the fire.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee were called in to provide assistance to the one resident who lived there.