A Collegedale family will be staying with family and friends Tuesday night after losing their house to a fire Tuesday afternoon.
Mr. Donald Barbree, the homeowner, called 911 at 12:18 p.m. reporting a garage fire at 4440 Woodland Drive (Collegedale area).
The Tri-Community Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported the house was involved on the back side of the house and the entire garage.
Tri-Community VFD officials requested a Mutual Aid response for the Highway 58 VFD and Catoosa County Fire Department to respond to their district to cover any additional emergency calls.
Since there was not a fire hydrant near by, several Tri-Community VFD tanker engines responded for water shuttling to contain the fire.
The house is a loss. Damages are listed at $150,000. The Barbree family is insured.
Fire officials report the fire started from an individual who was using an electrical pump to retrieve gasoline from a riding lawn mower and transfer the gas into an automobile. The spark from the electric pump added with the gas fumes created an explosion and fire.