Several businesses on Central Avenue were evacuated Wednesday morning after construction workers broke into a two-inch natural gas line.
The incident occurred at the corner of E. 16th Street and Central Avenue. The Chattanooga Fire Department was notified at 10:32 a.m. and responded with five fire companies. Once on the scene and the gas leak was confirmed, Battalion Chief Lesley Morgan ordered the immediate evacuation of six businesses in the endangered area. And with assistance from Chattanooga police, Central Avenue was closed from E. Main Street to E. 18th Street.
A few minutes later, technicians with the Chattanooga Gas Company arrived. Using a jack-hammer and then a backhoe, the technicians reached the break in the line and had the leak shut off at 11:55 a.m. There was no fire and no one was injured. Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance.