Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire around 11:30 p.m. Wednesday at 2410 Ivy Street.
Captain Joey Smith with Engine 5 said light smoke was showing when the first firefighters arrived. As additional fire companies arrived, firefighters made their way inside and found a relatively small fire in one of the bedrooms. The fire was extinguished within a few minutes. No injuries were reported.
Captain Smith said the fire was contained to the bedroom, but there was some smoke and water damage in adjacent rooms. The loss was estimated at $6,000. Battalion Chief Nate Middlebrooks said the fire was started by a five-year-old boy, who used a cigarette lighter or matches to set a bed on fire.
The fire displaced one adult and five children. Volunteers with the American Red Cross of Southeast Tennessee responded to provide assistance to the family. Chattanooga police and Hamilton County EMS also provided assistance.