Two people were injured in a house fire in Bradley County on Friday.
Shortly before noon, Bradley County EMS responded to a reported house fire on Hancock Road.
Two ambulances and a shift commander responded. Initial reports were that there were two people injured. When EMS crews arrived, Bradley County firefighters were performing resuscitative efforts on an 88-year-old woman.
When the fire department arrived, firefighters entered the residence and found a woamn collapsed. Firefighters quickly removed her. She was not breathing and had no pulse. The firefighters immediately started CPR. When EMS arrived, it took over patient care. During the emergency transport to Sky Ridge Medical Center, a pulse was restored.
After stabilization at Sky Ridge, the patient was transferred by air medical LifeForce to a burn center near Marietta, Ga.
The second patient was a man who was a neighbor. At some point, he had entered the burning residence. He was treated and released on the scene.
Reports indicated that the woman had made it out of the burning residence at one point. She then went back in to try and retrieve her pets.
“This is a very tragic situation. The take away lesson from this incident is for people to remember that under no circumstances should you ever go back into a burning building,” said Stan Clark, EMS spokesperson. "The Bradley County Fire Department responders should be praised for their response and quick actions. This incident is a great example of how hard work and training pays off.”