Chris Mabee: Heating Your Home Safely With Natural Gas

Thursday, December 1, 2016 - by Chris Mabee, President of Home Builders Association Of Greater Chattanooga

Many homes in the Chattanooga area use natural gas as a main energy source. And like any energy source, it must be used correctly to be efficient and safe.

Natural gas is a versatile fuel used to heat some homes, cook food, heat water, dry clothes, and even start the fire in the fireplace. The "smell" you recognize as natural gas odor is added so you will know if there is a gas leak in your home.

Responding to Gas Leaks

Gas may escape from faulty appliances, loose connections, service lines inside or outside your home, or from the gas main. If you ever smell gas, take these precautions immediately:

·      Do not light any matches or turn any electrical switches on or off in your home.

·      Ventilate the room or home by opening doors and windows.

·      If the odor is very strong or you hear a hissing noise, leave your home immediately. Go to a neighbor's home and call the fire department.

Maintaining Your Furnace or Boiler

A properly maintained furnace or boiler runs more efficiently and saves you money, so you should regularly inspect them. Follow the manufacturer’s maintenance instructions or use this checklist:

·      Make sure the unit is free of dust, rust or any other signs of corrosion and the space around it is clear of paint, solvents, rags, paper or any other combustible products.

·      Check the air filter every one to two months. Clean or replace it if necessary to save 5% or more on your energy bills.

·      Check the blower by thoroughly examining it and the belt (if your furnace has one) for cracks or excessive wear. Replace it if necessary.

·      Inspect space heaters annually. As with any gas appliance, trouble signs to look for are: a yellow flame; soot; a lingering pungent smell; or overheating.

Caring for Gas Appliances

Many homes have gas appliances in the kitchen and laundry rooms. A few simple precautions will help to keep gas appliances running safely and efficiently, too.

·      Never use the top burners or the oven of a gas range for home-heating purposes. Used improperly, they present a fire and burn hazard, and a malfunctioning gas range can produce toxic carbon monoxide.

·      Make sure your gas clothes dryer vent hose is free of lint, which can cause a fire. Check the manufacturer's instructions for information on how to remove lint from the hose, or call a qualified appliance repair contractor.

It’s a wise safety precaution to have all your gas appliances and your furnace checked on an annual basis. For a list of qualified heating contractors, visit the Home Builders Association of Greater Chattanooga at www.HBAGC.net. 



When Not To Sell A House To A House Investor

We have all seen the internet ads or mailings that say, “We Buy Ugly Houses” or “We’ll Buy Your House for Cash Fast”.  These advertisements are from investors that buy houses.  They typically buy the house “as-is”, pay cash and are flexible on closing date.  For several situations, investor home buyers are a great solution to selling a house.  This article describes ... (click for more)

Premier Property Group Sees "Explosive" Growth During First Quarter Of Business

Premier Property Group Inc., a full-service real estate firm in Chattanooga, has grown from the vision of owner and principal broker Christi Doll to a team of 15 agents representing residential and commercial clients in Tennessee and Georgia in just four months. The firm is poised to continue rapid growth as 2018 begins and the real estate market continues to surpass expectations, ... (click for more)

1 Person Injured In Duplex Fire In East Lake Wednesday Night

One person was injured when fire broke out in a duplex Wednesday night in East Lake. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at  11:53  p.m. on  Wednesday  and responded to the 4800 block of General Thomas Boulevard with several fire companies.   When the first firefighters arrived on the scene, Captain Chris Cordes with Engine 9 said ... (click for more)

City Council Considering New 2-Year $600,000 Contract With Father To The Fatherless

The City Council is considering whether to approve a new two-year contract of up to $600,000 with Father to the Fatherless for the Violence Reduction Initiative. Council members had a number of questions during a lengthy hearing on Tuesday afternoon, but Police Chief David Roddy said the program has helped bring a 35 percent reduction in gun-related shootings and a 16 percent ... (click for more)

Thank You, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thank you, Dr. King for stepping-out.  Thank you for your lasting voice to what it's all about. Thank you, Dr. King for  stepping up and also showing-up, ...when decisions were being made and  your refusal  to shut-up.  We find your fingerprints on both directions and toward progress.  your modeling, mentoring,  and reactions helps ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: Kids Are Still Funny

I have never seen nor heard of a child actually getting one’s “head pinched off” but by modern-day standards the threat just switched in overdrive. There are children in our communities who haven’t been to school for six long days and the brutal temperatures drove the little darlings to inside where they most predictably stirred up all manner of mayhem. Back when I was in Elementary ... (click for more)