Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 6514 Pine Manor Dr. at 1:22 Monday morning. When the first firefighters arrived on the scene, thick, black smoke was pouring out a bedroom window on the ground floor.
The firefighters made an interior attack and had the fire out in minutes. The fire damage was contained to the bedroom, but the rest of the house had smoke and water damage.
The loss was estimated at $15,000. No injuries were reported.
An adult male was staying in the house, which did not have electrical service.
A fire investigator said the man was using a candle for light. The man said he left the room briefly, and when he returned, the room was on fire. The fire investigator has ruled the cause of the fire as accidental, having been started by an unattended candle.