The East Brainerd community and its schools are holding a donation drive for R.P. Harris Elementary School in Houston, Tx. The community was devastated in Hurricane Harvey and its subsequent flooding. Eighty percent of the school’s students and their families lost everything. Additionally, the school building was badly damaged and lacks essential operating resources, officials said.
The donation drive will last from Sept. 11-15. A list of items needed by students, families, and the school can be found on East Hamilton School’s website. Donated items can be dropped off at East Hamilton School or sent with students to East Brainerd community elementary schools (Westview Elementary, Apison Elementary, and East Brainerd Elementary).
Avenger Logistics will be providing pallets and packaging services, a truck, and a driver to transport the items securely to R.P. Harris Elementary School.
Students at East Hamilton School are encouraged to bring the following items associated with their grade levels. Any donations from the list on the website are greatly appreciated, however.
- sixth grade - socks and underwear (3T - youth extra large)
- seventh grade - toothbrushes, toothpaste, and soap
- eghth grade - paper towels and toilet paper
- ninth grade - shampoo, conditioner, and deodorant
- tenth grade- towels and baby items (diapers, wipes, etc.)
- eleventh grade- trash bags, cleaning brushes, cleaning items
- twelth grade - polo shirts (white, red, blue 3T - junior 16)
shorts/pants (jeans, khaki, navy 3T-junior 14)
shoes (toddler 3-12, kids 2-8)
Questions can be directed to Principal Gail Chuy (firstname.lastname@example.org), Ellen Releford (email@example.com), Lindsay Donohue (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Bailey Reeves-Payne (email@example.com) at East Hamilton School 423-893-3535.