Friday Morning Fire Linked To Wood Burning Stove

Friday, January 19, 2018
- photo by Battalion Chief Don Bowman
Chattanooga firefighters were dispatched to a duplex fire shortly after 7 a.m. on Friday, at 2601 Taylor Street.
 
Battalion Chief Don Bowman said the fire was in the "A" side of the duplex.
The occupants on both sides of the duplex got out safely. The firefighters located the fire in the floor underneath a woodburning stove. It took them less than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire.  

Chief Bowman ruled the cause of the fire as accidental, saying the woodburning stove was improperly installed and was not being monitored properly. The fire was contained to one room, with the dollar loss estimated at $2,000. 

Here are some safety tips related to wood burning stoves and fireplaces:

- Use a metal or glass fireplace screen to keep sparks from hitting nearby carpets or furniture. 
- Be sure the fireplace or stove is installed properly. Wood stoves should have adequate clearance (3 feet) from combustible surfaces and proper floor support and protection.
- Wood stoves should be of good quality, solid construction, and design, and should be evaluated by a nationally recognized laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
The stove should be burned hot twice a day for 15-30 minutes to reduce the amount of creosote buildup.
- Have your chimney inspected annually and cleaned if necessary, especially if it has not been used for some time.
- Don't use excessive amounts of paper to build fires in fireplaces. It is possible to ignite creosote in the chimney by overbuilding the fire.
- Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
- Keep flammable materials away from your fireplace mantel. A spark from the fireplace could easily ignite these materials.
- Before you go to sleep, be sure your fireplace fire is out. Never close your damper with hot ashes in the fireplace. A closed damper will help the fire to heat up again and will force toxic carbon monoxide into the house.
If synthetic logs are used, follow the directions on the package. Never break a synthetic log apart to quicken the fire or use more than one log at a time. They often burn unevenly, releasing higher levels of carbon monoxide.
Do not use flammable liquids to start or accelerate any fire.
Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal can give off lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.
Allow fireplace and wood stove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal ash bucket or container.
Keep or maintain a 3 foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.
Inspect and maintain heating equipment regularly for safety. 
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level of the home.
For the best protection, interconnect all smoke alarms throughout the home. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Test smoke alarms monthly.
Install and maintain carbon monoxide alarms to avoid risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. 



Woman Who Became Hospitalized After Drinking Well Water At Local Restaurant Files Class Action Suit

A woman who said she became hospitalized after drinking well water from a local restaurant has filed suit. Tina Rogers is suing the River Drifter Restaurant on Suck Creek Road and its owners, Charles and Renee Eich, as well as property owner Robert L. Newman. The Circuit Court complaint seeks to be declared a class action lawsuit and include others who became ill from drinking ... (click for more)

Boyd Says Commissioners Want Answers From Coppinger On Magistrate Payouts

County Commissioner Tim Boyd has written County Mayor Jim Coppinger saying he wants answers to questions raised about certain payouts to county magistrates. He said other commissioners who were at a Security and Corrections Committee meeting joined him in wanting the answers. Randy Russell, who was chief magistrate for eight years but was not retained, said other magistrates ... (click for more)

Jeff Styles, I Believe You - And Response (2)

I am glad that Jeff Styles presented the details of the event on his website.  Just because the government alleges a crime does not mean guilty. A criminal charge is an allegation by government. Sure, that allegation can be very serious, but the charge is still an unproven allegation until a court of law and Lady Justice has her review of the proof.  A person gets ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: ‘The Cake Is Baked’

If all goes well, and as expected, Hamilton County Chancellor Jeff Atherton will tell a group representing the Democratic Party not to ever again clutter his office or his courtroom with such a childish amount of political poppycock as will be brought on display tomorrow. The Democrats want to block Robin Smith, a longtime Republican stalwart, from becoming our next State Representative ... (click for more)

Baylor Rallies To Beat Stubborn East Hamilton

There’s nothing quite like playing one of the best volleyball teams in the state to open the 2018 season, but that’s exactly what the East Hamilton Lady Hurricanes did at home Tuesday evening. Facing the defending Division II state champion Baylor Lady Red Raiders, the Lady Canes didn’t seem to be the least bit intimidated by Baylor and even grabbed early momentum by winning ... (click for more)

CCS, Red Bank, Ooltewah Volleyball Winners Tuesday

Chattanooga Christian, Red Bank and Ooltewah all won volleyball matches Tuesday with CCS improving to 2-0 with the 3-1 district win over Grace. Soddy Daisy defeated Hixson by a 3-1 final while Lookout Valley split a pair of matches, the Lady Yellow Jackets losing to Gordon Lee before defeating Ringgold. Soddy Daisy prevailed by scores of 25-10, 19-25, 25-8 and 25-21.  ... (click for more)