This Veterans Day weekend, Georgia’s Red Cross says they will join the nation in "celebrating all the men and women who have sel?essly served and continue to serve our country." They are also reminding the public that some families will be will be missing service members who are deployed or convalescing in veterans’ medical facilities, nursing homes and military hospitals during the upcoming holiday season.
For the next month, the Red Cross Holidays for Heroes program is a way for the public to send words of inspiration, thanks and encouragement to our military heroes. “This marks the twelfth year of the Red Cross Holidays for Heroes program, and its heartfelt purpose never gets old,” says Ebony Bradley, director of the Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces program in Georgia. “We’re inviting all Georgians to give something that truly means something by sharing their appreciation for our military families with words of holiday cheer sent through the Red Cross.”
Since 2006, with the help of the public, the American Red Cross has collected millions of cards for members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families during the holiday season. All holiday cards mailed by the public this year will be screened, sorted and distributed by volunteers to military installations, military and VA medical facilities and veteran organizations in Georgia.
Holiday Mail for Heroes Guidelines:
· Holiday cards should be addressed to “Dear Service Member, Veteran, or Military Family,” because those cards can be shared with anyone in the military community.
· Avoid buying or making cards with glitter – glitter can aggravate health issues for the wounded or ill.
· Items like letters, photos or gift cards won’t make it through the screening and sorting process – please don’t send anything but the card itself.
· Please stick to a 2:1 cards per person ratio when submitting your greetings. All cards must be postmarked no later than Friday, Dec. 7. Mail Cards (postage required) to: Holiday for Heroes PO Box 13407 Atlanta, GA 30324.
· You can also share photos and videos of card-signing efforts or send holiday greetings for troops by using the hashtag #GeorgiaHeroes on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts. ·
Questions? Email: GAholidayforheroes@redcross.org. Want to Give More? Ask about the “Java for G.I. Campaign” this holiday season at GAholidayforheroes@redcross.org.
"#GiveWithMeaning and honor friends and family with unique gifts that help our troops at www.redcross.org/gifts. Your donation is a tax-deductible contribution to the Red Cross," officials said.