The Lee University tennis teams completed their spring break trip with a pair of wins Thursday morning at the USTA National Campus. The Flames recorded a 9-0 shutout of Cedarville University, while the Lady Flames posted the same score against St.
Cloud State University.
The Flames improved to 6-3 overall, including a 2-1 mark while in the Orlando area. The Yellow Jackets fell to 4-6.
Rhys Milne and Jake Okines blanked Alex Totten and Jonathan Class for the opening team point. Daniel Prata and Jordan Knott were 8-2 winners at No.3 doubles against Jeremy Hoover and Chris Tsibouris. Boyd Blackburn and Bruno Medeiros completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 margin over Philip Brumbaugh and Ryan Cvammen.
Prata continued the momentum with a 6-0, 6-0 defeat of Hoover at No. 5 singles. Medeiros won by the same scores against Cvammen to clinch the team win. Blackburn and Jordan Knott dropped just three games each to win at No. 3 singles and No. 6 singles, respectively. Okines was a 6-2, 6-4 winner at No. 2 singles.
Milne had to fight off a pesky Totten to win at No. 1 singles. The senior held on for a 7-5 advantage in the opening set and needed a 7-1 tie-breaker score to earn the straight-set victory.
The Flames return to action on March 14 against The University of Alabama in Huntsville. The GSC match is set for 2 p.m. EDT at the DeVos Tennis Center.
The Lady Flames posted their second win in as many matches in Florida to improve to 6-2, while the Huskies fell to 2-10.
Carley Sickinger and Joanna Grzegrzolka beat Melissa Nierenhausen and Samantha Fitzpatrick, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles. Laura Beth Hardesty and Nicole Shennett defeated Ann Marie White and Sommer Kopff, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles. Francesca Tondi and Marta Garcia-Nieto completed the doubles sweep with an 8-5 take down of Alexie Portz and Fernanda Morais Quintino dos Santos.
Sickinger dropped one game in a straight-set defeat of Nierenhausen to put the Lady Flames within one of securing the team win. Hardesty posted a 6-1, 6-0 score to beat White and post the fifth team point.
Grzegrzolka was a 6-1, 6-1 winner against Fitzpatrick and Tondi won 6-1 and 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
Shennett won her opening set 6-3, but Abby Scheck forced a third set with a 6-2 advantage in the second set. Shennett posted a 10-2 margin in the super set to record the win.
Garcia-Nieto was pushed to the limits by Portz, but the senior was able to post the 6-4, 7-5 straight-set victory.
The Lady Flames are scheduled to return to action on March 15 at The University of Alabama in Huntsville. The GSC match is set for 2 p.m. EDT.
FLAMES 9, CEDARVILLE 0
1. Rhys Milne (LEE-M) def. Alex Totten (CED) 7-5, 7-6 (7-1)
2. Jake Okines (LEE-M) def. Jonathan Class (CED) 6-2, 6-4
3. Boyd Blackburn (LEE-M) def. Philip Brumbaugh (CED) 6-1, 6-2
4. Bruno Medeiros (LEE-M) def. Ryan Cvammen (CED) 6-0, 6-0
5. Daniel Prata (LEE-M) def. Jeremy Hoover (CED) 6-0, 6-0
6. Jordan Knott (LEE-M) def. Chris Tsibouris (CED) 6-2, 6-1
1. Rhys Milne/Jake Okines (LEE-M) def. Alex Totten/Jonathan Class (CED) 8-0
2. Boyd Blackburn/Bruno Medeiros (LEE-M) def. Philip Brumbaugh/Ryan Cvammen (CED) 8-3
3. Daniel Prata/Jordan Knott (LEE-M) def. Jeremy Hoover/Chris Tsibouris (CED) 8-2
LADY FLAMES 9, ST. CLOUD STATE UNIVERSITY 0
1. Francesca Tondi (LEE-W) def. Quintino dos Santos (SCSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Marta Garcia-Nieto (LEE-W) def. Alexie Portz (SCSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Carley Sickinger (LEE-W) def. Melissa Nierenhausen (SCSU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Joanna Grzegrzolka (LEE-W) def. Samantha Fitzpatrick (SCSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Laura Beth Hardesty (LEE-W) def. Ann Marie White (SCSU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Nicole Shennett (LEE-W) def. Abby Scheck (SCSU) 6-3, 2-6, 10-2
1. Francesca Tondi/Marta Garcia-Nieto (LEE-W) def. Alexie Portz/Quintino dos Santos (SCSU) 8-5
2. Carley Sickinger/Joanna Grzegrzolka (LEE-W) def. Melissa Nierenhausen/Samantha Fitzpatrick (SCSU) 8-1
3. Laura Beth Hardesty/Nicole Shennett (LEE-W) def. Ann Marie White/Sommer Kopff (SCSU) 8-0