UT Knoxville Advisory Board Holds First Meeting, Appoints Student Member
Friday, January 11, 2019
UT Knoxville Advisory Board group photo in the Student Union on Jan. 11. From Left, Louis Gross, Tom Smith, Alexia Poe, Tim Williams, Syreeta Vaughn, John Tickle and Ovi Kabir
- photo by Steven Bridges
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s advisory board held its first meeting today in the newly opened Student Union.
UT Chancellor Wayne T. Davis led much of the inaugural meeting. Interim UT System President Randy Boyd and Governor Bill Haslam were in attendance.
Public members of the advisory board include Alexia Poe and Tom Smith of Nashville, John Tickle of Bristol, and Syreeta Vaughn and Tim Williams of Knoxville. The faculty senate appointee is Louis J. Gross, chancellor’s professor and distinguished professor of ecology and evolutionary biology.
The student appointee is Ovi Kabir, Student Government Association president.
During the meeting, the advisory board members:
- Reviewed and approved advisory board bylaws;
- Elected Tickle as board chair;
- Agreed that the assistant to the chancellor should serve as board secretary
- Appointed Kabir, a senior in political science, as the student member for this academic year and discussed the process for working with the SGA and Graduate Student Senate to appoint future student members;
- Reviewed the current UT Knoxville budget;
- Discussed possible meeting dates in mid-May and mid-October; and
-Meeting materials are available on the chancellor’s website. The meeting was webcast live and is archived on the website.
The UT FOCUS Act, passed by the Tennessee General Assembly in April 2018, created an advisory board for each UT campus. The boards are charged with submitting recommendations to the UT System president on campus-level strategic plans, operating budgets, and tuition.