At the Community Choices Workshops held this March at local YFD centers, students from Orchard Knob Elementary and Hardy Elementary shared their ideas for Area 3.
The plan study area features 17 neighborhoods that are generally bounded by the Tennessee River at Amnicola Highway for areas below South Chickamauga Creek, to the base of Missionary Ridge, and then south to I-24 and east of Central Avenue or the rail yards. (See map at chcrpa.org/area-3-plan)
A "Build-a-Block" exercise was presented by RPA staff to explore the potential for 6 focus areas that were identified by the community at the January 26th public meeting. A top issue identified by the students was safe streets and pedestrian ways. They envisioned crosswalks and more sidewalks along with park enhancements such as water features and trees.
The workshops and survey cover topics related to Commercial Centers, New Development & Jobs, Housing Options, Parks, Greenways & Open Space and Transportation. Workshop participants also asked questions about the area plan process and staff responded by noting some key points:
Why is public Input important?
- Identifies the preferences of the people who live and work in Area 3.
- Establishes goals and a shared vision for the community.
- You can shape your community as it grows.
What does an Area Plan do?
- Identifies natural resources and places with unique community character that should be preserved.
- Lays out a vision for new commercial centers, housing, major employers, transportation, parks and greenways;
- Influences City investments in public infrastructure and helps align those investments with new development;
- Informs City decisions about rezoning.
As of March 22, a total of 483 Surveys have been completed. The Community Choices Survey is open until March 31. Staff reminds participants who take the paper version, to return the completed survey to one of the YFD Recreation Centers in Area 3 or mail it to the Regional Planning Agency (1250 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 37402) by March 31. A Spanish language version is also available on-line or by contacting the RPA office. Contact the RPA for more information at 423-643-5901 or email email@example.com