2019 Schedule Set For Covenant Women's Soccer
Monday, July 8, 2019 - by Andrew Mindeman
Familiar foes and a challenging slate of matches highlights the Covenant women's soccer 2019 schedule.
The 26th year of the program's history, all under head coach Mark Duble, will begin on Aug. 30 as the Lady Scots will play 17 regular season matches, with nine of those at Scotland Yard.
Covenant, coming off a fourth straight winning season in 2018, will face three teams that played in the NCAA Tournament a season ago to go along with tough region foes and a full USA South slate.
The season kicks off on Aug.
30 when the Lady Scots travel to face reigning SAA champion, and NCAA Tournament participant, Centre in Danville, Ky. Centre finished the 2018 season ranked No. 12 in the nation after reaching the sectional round of the NCAA Tournament.
Covenant continues the road trip to begin the year with a match at Sewanee on Sept. 4. The Lady Scots then open the home portion of the schedule on Sept. 7 against Salem in a non-conference match. Kickoff at Scotland Yard is set for 1 p.m.
The Salem match is the first of six home contests in the month of September. Covenant squares off with Birmingham Southern on Sept. 10 at home before making a quick trip to Belhaven on Sept. 14. After the road trip, Covenant returns to Scotland Yard to face Berry (Sept. 17), Emory (Sept. 24), Brevard (Sept. 28), and Oglethorpe (Sept. 30). The Brevard match is the USA South opener.
In October, Covenant travels to USA South foes Huntingdon (Oct. 4), LaGrange (Oct. 5), and Berea (Oct. 10) before traveling to Greenville, S.C., to face-off with Bob Jones (Oct. 12).
Maryville comes to Lookout Mountain for a key USA South West matchup on Oct. 16. Covenant closes the regular season with home dates vs. Agnes Scott (Oct. 19) and Wesleyan (Oct. 26) with a road match at Piedmont (Oct. 23) sandwiched in between.
The USA South Tournament is set to begin on Oct. 30. The top six teams in each division qualify for the tournament, with seeds 3-4 hosting first round matches on Oct. 30. Divisional seeds 1-2 receive a first round bye and host quarterfinal round matches on Nov. 2. The highest remaining seed will host the semifinals and championship on Nov. 8-9.
- Covenant will face three NCAA Tournament teams from 2018 this season (Centre, Emory, Piedmont).
- Covenant and Bob Jones will meet for the first time in women's soccer. Bob Jones was the runner-up in the NCCAA National Championship last season.
- The most common all-time opponent on the schedule this year is Berry. Covenant and Berry have met 19 times in the series history.
- Though Salem is a USA South member, the match on Sept. 7 will not count towards league standings.
- The match against Brevard will count for USA South standings this year. However, Brevard is not eligible to compete in the USA South Tournament. The Tornados will gain full NCAA Division III membership in 2020-21 academic year.