The Hamilton County Emergency Communications District announced the retirement of Chairman Don Allen from the board of directors of the district effective Jan. 9.
Mr. Allen began his service to the board in 1986 while the director of Hamilton County Emergency Services. In those 34 years he served 24 years as the board’s chairman and four years as its vice chairman. During his tenure, the Hamilton County Emergency Communications District accomplished many firsts for the citizens of Hamilton County:
· As chairman, Mr. Allen led the effort to consolidate public safety emergency communication services in 2009 to provide a more robust 9-1-1 system to the citizens of Hamilton County.
· Ensured that citizens and public safety officials alike have the best possible service by continuously updating staff training and equipment.
· Received international accreditation in 2013 and has been cited numerous times since as one of the finest communications agencies in the country far surpassing national standards of performance.
· Oversaw a staff that has been continuously cited for saving lives and providing a strong voice for those in need.
· Brought cutting edge technologies and processes for emergency communications to Hamilton County, such as ASAP to PSAP and Text-To-911, which have allowed not only enhanced speed of service, but provide an additional lifeline to residents and visitors to our great county; becoming the first District to do so in the State of Tennessee.
“Don Allen provided over 30 progressive years of outstanding service to the citizens of Hamilton County and to the women and men who deliver public safety services within our community. Don’s dedicated leadership as chairman of the 911 Board helped to envision and implement a unified Hamilton County Emergency Communications District. Today, we celebrate this operation as one of the best in our nation,” said Dr. Richard Brown, chairman of the Hamilton County Emergency Communications District. “Don has spent the majority of his life as a public servant. On behalf of our Board, I thank him for his service. I consider Don Allen as a great friend and an exceptional leader. We celebrate his retirement….however…he will be missed.”
"Our sincere thanks to Don Allen for his long service on the 9-1-1 Board both as a member and as its chairman for 24 years,” said Hamilton County Mayor Jim Coppinger. “The safety of Hamilton County citizens has always been of paramount importance to Don and due to his relentless efforts to establish a countywide unified emergency communications system, Hamilton county residents are safer thanks to Don's leadership."