Christmas Lights Cause Fire That Damages House At Dallas Bay

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas lights caused a house at Dallas Bay to go up in flames on Sunday morning. 

At 2 a.m., the home owner, Charles Parent, called 911 reporting a house fire at 1963 Thrasher Pike. The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded and arrived on the scene within four minutes reporting fire showing on the deck that runs the whole back side of the house. 

Firefighters worked quickly to contain the fire to the back porch and kept the fire from spreading to the house. 

Dallas Bay Fire Chief Markus Fritts reported, "The daughter awoke to get a drink of water and saw the fire on the back deck." Chief Fritts said the cause of the fire was "weathered" rope lighting on the back deck. "The roped lightning had been exposed to the outdoors for years and can be a huge fire hazard if not checked or replaced," said Chief Fritts. 

Damages are estimated at $10,000. No injuries were reported, but Hamilton County EMS was on the scene for any potential injuries. 

Amy Maxwell of county EMS said, "I encourage everyone during this holiday season to review this Christmas Lights Safety List to avoid any potential hazards to occur at your house. 

-  Before you string up a single strand of lights, carefully check them for cracked cords, frayed ends or loose connections.

-  The combination of shorts in electrical lights and a tinder-dry tree can be deadly.There are 250 Christmas tree fires and 14 related deaths each year, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. So keep your tree well-watered. Not only will it stay fresh and green, but it might also keep your house from burning down.

-  Modern lights have fused plugs, preventing sparks in case of a short circuit. Ditch old strands of lights that don't have fuses and get a set of newer, safer lights.  

-  If bulbs have burned out, replace them right away, but make sure you use the correct wattage bulbs.

-  Water and debris can get into outdoor sockets, so make sure outdoor lights are plugged into a ground fault circuit interrupter outlet to reduce the risk of shorts and shocks.

-  Keep an eye on extension cords, as they can occasionally overheat. Just touch-test the cord. If it's hot, unplug it.

-  Don't use tacks, nails or screws to hang lights, which can pierce the cable and become electrified. Use insulated hooks instead.

-  When running extension cords along the ground, make sure to elevate plugs and connectors with a brick to keep snow, water and debris out of the connections.

-  Tape down any ground-level extension cords to prevent people from tripping over them. 

-  Check to make sure lights have been rated by a testing laboratory. You can see a list of federally recognized labs on the Occupational Safety & Health Administration's website.

-  Not all lights are rated for outdoor use. Indoor lights often have thinner insulation, which can become cracked and damaged when exposed to the elements outdoors. So make sure the ones you string up on the house belong out there.

-  Don't leave Christmas lights running when you go to bed at night or when you leave the house.

-  When you put your lights back into storage after the holidays, make sure to put them in a well-sealed container to prevent possible water damage and to block hungry rodents looking to turn the cords into lunch. My final advice? Be careful with ladders.


Chattanooga Police Investigate 1 Robbery, 7 Burglaries April 11-15

The Chattanooga Police Department investigated one robbery and seven burglaries in the period April 11-15. The robbery was at: 300 CHERRY ST 4/12/15 0:01 120 120 ROBBERY 3 37402-   The burglaries were at:   709 Old Dallas Road 4/11/15 17:30 220 220 BURGLARY/BREAKING AND ENTERING 3 37405- 2506 CHAMBERLAIN AVE 4/11/15 13:40 220 220 BURGLARY/BREAKING ... (click for more)

Dallas Bay Home Damaged By Fire Early Saturday Morning

A Dallas Bay home was damaged by fire Saturday morning. The resident, asleep in the living room, awoke to the smell of smoke. At  6:10 a.m. , the homeowner called 911, reporting the fire at 7304 Cline Road. The Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department responded and reported heavy smoke showing at the front of house. Firefighters entered the home to find the bathroom ... (click for more)

Proud Of Hometown Boy Turned Global Leader, Bob Corker

Time Magazine has it right.  Not only is Chattanooga’s own U.S. Senator Bob Corker one of the “100 Most Influential People in the World,” but he is probably now the most prominent leader in the history of our city.   At a time of extreme frustration with Washington and Congress in general, Bob continues to rise above the division and rancor to build consensus and solve ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: Celebrate Autism’s Victories

As I was getting my salad during lunch at the sixth annual Chattanooga Autism Conference on Friday, a simple question from a friendly kid on the other side of the buffet gave me the answer I was seeking. “Do you have Asperger’s (syndrome),” he asked in a friendly way. I told him no, but that a growing number of folks I admire did, and that’s why I joined a turn-away crowd of ... (click for more)

Brewer Selected New East Ridge Girls Basketball Coach

(Story has been updated) Blaine Brewer admitted his becoming a head coach at East Ridge, or any other place for that matter, is ahead of schedule. “It certainly has happened quicker than I thought it would,” the 24-year-old Brewer said Friday. “I’m really excited though.” Brewer, who is from Memphis and attended Arlington High School where he played basketball and ... (click for more)

McClendon, Ex-Rhea Assistant, Joins Lyness' Lady Trojans Staff

Cheryl McClendon, an assistant girls’ basketball coach at Rhea County the past eight years, has been hired for a similar job at Soddy-Daisy High School, head coach Drew Lyness said Friday afternoon. McClendon has taught at Soddy-Daisy for the last 13 years and served as one of Rhea County coach Shane Johnston’s assistants for almost a decade. Johnston has resigned at Rhea County ... (click for more)