Vols Face Tusculum Saturday In Final Prep For SEC Play
Thursday, January 02, 2014
- by Special to Chattanoogan.com
- photo by Tennessee Athletics
TENNESSEE (8-4) vs. TUSCULUM COLLEGE (1-11)
Jan. 4, 2014 | 2 p.m. ET | Thompson-Boling Arena | Knoxville, Tenn.
STREAMING VIDEO: Live video stream on UTsports.com (Evan Ellis, Steve Hamer and Dani Klupenger)
RADIO: Vol Network (Bob Kesling and Bert Bertelkamp)
SATELLITE RADIO: None
utsports.com/" target="_blank">UTsports.com (live blog and Vol Network audio stream)
TWITTER & INSTAGRAM: @Vol_Hoops
NOTING THE VOLS
· This contest concludes a four-game homestand for the Vols before they begin SEC play Tuesday at LSU.
· The Vols dismantled Virginia 87-52 Monday. The Cavs entered the game ranked in the top 10 nationally in six defensive stat categories.
· Tennessee had three 20-point scorers vs. UVA. It was the first time that happened in a regulation game since Feb. 5, 2008 (104-82 win vs. Florida).
· Only five teams in Division I average fewer turnovers per game than Tennessee (9.4 tpg).
· In UT’s last two games, Josh Richardson is averaging 19.5 points while shooting .727 from the field (16-of-22).
· Jarnell Stokes (9.3 rpg) and Jeronne Maymon (8.3 rpg) are the SEC’s second- and fourth-leading rebounders, respectively.
· Stokes turns 20-year-old Tuesday, Jan. 7.
· For Tusculum (1-11), a Division II school based in Greeneville, Tenn., this is an exhibition game. It is a regular-season game for Tennessee, but it will not factor into UT’s NCAA RPI. Statistics for the Vols will count in their UT and NCAA career totals.
· Though the Vols have hosted three exhibition games vs. Tusculum in the last decade, UT has not faced the Pioneers in a regular-season game since Dec. 15, 1944.
· Tusculum head coach Michael Jones is from Maysville, Ky., which also is the hometown of Vols legend and SEC 3-Point King Chris Lofton (2005-08).
· The Pioneers’ roster includes four East Tennessee natives, including starters Cory Fagan (Oak Ridge, Oak Ridge HS) and Matt Shown (Knoxville, Alcoa HS).
J-RICH ON A ROLL
· Junior wing Josh Richardson is riding the best two-game stretch of his career as a Vol, as he is averaging 19.5 points while shooting .727 (16-for-22) from the field over the last two outings.
· A .225 career 3-point shooter entering the season, he is shooting .500 from long range this year.
· Richardson has made 11 3-pointers through 12 games this year. He totaled nine makes in 33 games last season.
· His .521 overall shooting percentage this season is the best on the team. He is shooting .529 on 2-point field goals.
(E-mail Larry Fleming at firstname.lastname@example.org)