Hilton Head, SC – Dalton State tennis teams braved temperatures in the 30’s and 20 mph winds Tuesday morning and came away with victories over Misericordia University.
The Dalton men’s team (8-2) shut out the Cougars, 9-0, and the Lady Roadrunners (5-2) knocked-off the Dallas (PA) school 8-1.
Dalton Women Handle Misericordia, 8-1:
“I’m proud of the girls and this win,” said DS coach Michel Bates. “The weather conditions were very tough, but our girls were able to persevere.”
“True freshman Daniella Sanchez did a great job today in her debut at #2 singles,” Bates added. “I see a lot of promise in her and the future of our team. Alejandra (Bejarano) battled back from an early 5-2 deficit to pull off a strong win at #5 singles.”
1. Cassie Foy/Breanne Phillips (MU) def. Laura Winter/Chelsea Powell (DS) 5-8
2. Diana Narino/Daniela Sanchez (DS) def. Megan Meyers/Bridget Boyle (MU) 8-1
3. Bejarano/Lindsay McCutchen (DS) def. Carly Young/Kiana Gough (MU) 8-2
1. Winter (DS) def. Cassie Foy (MU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Sanchez (DS) def. Phillips (MU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Narino (DS) def. Meyers (MU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Powell (DS) def. Boyle (MU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Bejarano (DS) def. Cornelia Chmil (MU) 7-6 (3), 6-1
6. McCutchen (DS) def. Brittany Bressler (MU) 6-1, 6-3
Dalton State Men Dominate The Cougars, 9-0:
While certainly both teams had to deal with uncomfortable conditions, Roadrunner Coach Zach Rogers was happy with the results.
“The guys did a great job of staying focused today,” said Rogers. “Our players had plenty of excuses to not play at their best.”
“Our doubles teams are really starting to show chemistry and I was happy to see Noah Cleary get his first win for the team,” Rogers added.
1. Nikolay Nikiforov/Adam Hornby (DS) def. Tony Goodall/Robert Knipper (MU) 8-0
2. Lucas de Souza/Juan Pablo Arguello (DS) def. Christian Pugliese/Corey Dulsky (MU) 8-1
3. David Draghiceanu/Hadyn Fava (DS) def. Eric Correll/Nicholas Hendry (MU) 8-0
1. Nikiforov (DS) def. Goodall (MU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Hornby (DS) Dulsky (MU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Draghiceanu (DS) Pugliese (MU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Souza (DS) def. Knipper (MU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Fava (DS) def. Correll (MU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Cleary (DS) Hendry (MU) 6-0, 6-0
Dalton State coaches are hopeful that the weather will cooperate and allow the teams to finish the visit to Hilton Head by competing in what Rogers describes as “three competitive matches.”
Weather permitting, DS men and women play Findlay University from Canton (OH) Wednesday morning and Ashford University of Clinton (IA) on Thursday morning.
The Dalton women only will take on Northwestern College of Orange City (IA) at noon on Friday.