In honor of National Bike Month, Bike Chattanooga and the City of Chattanooga are pleased to announce a series of cycling-themed activities and challenges in May, 2014. Chattanooga will join the League of American Bicyclists and hundreds of cities in celebration of cycling in the U.S.
Bike Chattanooga, GreenTrips Chattanooga, Outdoor Chattanooga and community organizations like BikeWalk Chattanooga and the Chattanooga Bicycle Clubwill host a series of local events designed to encourage riders of all cycling abilities to get on a bike.
Bike Month’s signature event is National Bike to Work Day on May 16, an engaging celebration which encourages riders to try commuting to work by bicycle. A number of energizer stations will be set up at Miller Plaza during the morning rush hour (7-9 a.m.) to greet cyclists on their way to work with entertainment, free food and refreshing drinks. Local restaurants are also offering 10% discounts at lunch for cyclists who bike to lunch and show their helmet.
The highlight of this year’s event will be guided group rides from various locations throughout the communitysupported by local bike shops and volunteer ride leaders. Bike to Work Day partners hope that group rides will encourage first time commuters to give pedaling to work a try.
“More than half of the U.S. population lives within five miles of their workplace, making bicycling a feasible and fun way to get to the office,” said Philip Pugliese, director of the Active Living and Transportation Network, a partner in National Bike to Work Day. “Grab a buddy and make plans to ride on May 16. You get fresh air and exercise, save money on gas and see a whole new side of Chattanooga during your commute.”
Riders can visit greentripscha.org/events/bike-to-work-day/ for details on times and ride start locations as well as a list of participating businesses in the discount lunch program. For tips on how to prepare yourself for your first bicycle commute, or to meet other cyclists in your neighborhood, visit GreenTripsCHA.org.
“I love bike to work days,” said Melissa Taylor, director of Strategic Long Range Planning for Chattanooga-Hamilton County Regional Planning Agency and manager of the Green Trips program. “There are always such friendly faces and I think my ride from North Chattanooga is just beautiful! I’m so glad bike to work has continued since the Chattanooga Bicycle Club hosted the first Bike to Work Day in 1996.”
Bicyclists can also use commuting miles as part of the National Bike Challenge, a nationwide contest to log 30 million miles by bicycle from May 1 – Sept. 30. BikeWalk Chattanooga has challenged BikeWalk Knoxville to a mileage duel, with the winner getting an ArtBike trophy with Art 120.Visit BikeWalk Chattanooga on Facebook to sign up.
Bike Chattanooga will offer annual memberships at a discounted rate of $50 (regularly $75) to those that sign up during National Bike to Work Day, offering an incentive for downtown commuters to use the convenient bicycles for part of their commute or riding to lunch or meetings.
Other National Bike Month Activities will include:
· May 3 – 3State/3Mountain Challenge Century Ride, hosted by the Chattanooga Bicycle Club
· May 3 and 25 – TN Youth Mountain Bike Races at Enterprise South and Stringers Ridge
· May 4 – Litespeed Bike to the Ballpark and the Chattanooga Lookouts at AT&T Field
· May 9 – Moccasin Bend Bicycle Tour with Outdoor Chattanooga and the National Park Service
· May 12 - "On the Road and on the Trail.” Learn about Adventure Cycling, America Walks and Rails-to-Trails Conservancy at Outdoor Chattanooga.
· May 13- Bicycle Tourism, Trail Development and Connectivity at the downtown library.
· May 12-16 - #BikeCHA social media picture contest presented by Bike Chattanooga and Timbuk2
· May 12 & 18 – Adaptive Cycling with the SPARC and City of Chattanooga Therapeutic Recreation
· May 16 – National Bike to Work Day at Miller Plaza in downtown Chattanooga
· May 17 – Battlefield Bicycle Tour with Outdoor Chattanooga and the National Park Service
· May 21 – Ride of Silence
· May 24 –USA Cycling Professional Time Trials and US Hand Cycling Time Trials at Volkswagen Chattanooga
· May 26 – USA Cycling Professional Road Race and US Hand Cycling Criterium in downtown Chattanooga
· May 31- National Womens Ride Day- bike ride and maintenance class at Cycle Sport Concepts
For a comprehensive schedule of events, visit the Green Trips Chattanooga events calendar at http://www.GreenTripscha.org/events/calendar.