The Chuck Fleischmann campaign said challenger Weston Wamp's super PAC "is launching hundreds of thousands of dollars in advertising today, and it brings to light some stunning hypocrisy on the part of Wamp."
Fleischmann Senior Advisor Jordan Powell said, "One of the first ideas Wamp proposed in his original failed run for Congress was to 'eliminate super PACs.' Wamp has called super PACs 'sickening', and has endorsed the idea that they are a 'disaster for democracy.'
"Weston has said time and again he grew up 'at the feet' of Congress and today makes it apparent what he learned growing up there: Washington double talk and hypocrisy. If Weston believes super PACs are a 'disaster for democracy' and should be eliminated, he should denounce these ads, call for them to be removed from the airwaves, and have his campaign donate an equal amount of money to a good government fund.
"We believe, as Weston's super PAC says, 'character counts', and it is time for Weston to show the voters of East Tennessee his true character."
The Fleischmann campaign listed "Weston's Super PAC Hypocrisy Timeline":
- "Eliminate Super PACs" - Enough is Enough: Weston's 7-Point Plan to Restore Confidence, 2/16/12
- "Must read: Super PACs are 'disaster for democracy.'" - Weston Wamp tweet, 2/15/12
- "Un-believable! Super PACs will ruin our elections if not reined in. Sickening how much influence these guys are buying." - Weston Wamp tweet, 2/13/12
- "Hope people realize that Super PACs are giving unlimited & unprecedented influence to billionaires and corporate interests in elections." - Weston Wamp tweet, 2/8/12
- "'SuperPACs are a game for million & billionaires...Meanwhile, citizens are pushed to the sidelines to watch the corruption of our democracy.'" - Weston Wamp tweet, 2/15/12
- "Wamp gets campaign windfall: Lamp Post partner donates $300,000 to super PAC" - Chattanooga Times Free Press, 7/4/14