The “Hustler” Riley Hickman of Cleveland, Tn., hunkered down at Fort Payne Motor Speedway Saturday night putting the winning pass on early race leader Robert Gant on lap 14 of the 7th annual FireCracker 50 to earn the night’s $3,000 payday.
Gant of Pisgah, Ala., set the fast time of the event (14:368) earning the pole position for the Complete Cash Title Pawn sponsored event.
Fourth starting Hickman took a bit to get going as early race cautions mired the field that saw 2013 FPMS Track Champion Lucas Burns of Attalla, Ala., start in the second position. Hickman applied pressure using the very bottom of the race track as Gant hubbed the middle blackened groove. Contact early in the event between Gant, Burns and Jeff Smith of Villanow, Ga., possible set a tire down on Gant whom dropped from competition passed the halfway point.
Smith tried to stay with Hickman but the unlettered # R1 “Hickman Manufacturing, American Billett, Austin Trucking, RH Designs, Competition Racing Equipment, A-1 Towing, MRC” sponsored CVR / Vic Hill powered machine was too stout. Flintstone, Ga.’s Gar Dickson came from his ninth starting position to third behind Smith, who had early picked up the night’s $1,500 to-WIN / 30 Lap” Tires R’ Us” Crate LM feature victory.
Racer Jeff Fields of Aragon, Ga., was involved in an early incident with DJ Hayes in turn four with reports that the driver sustained a broken arm or wrist. A four-wide salute honored America during the parade lap prior to the start of the 50 lap feature event.
1.Riley Hickman (# R1) of Cleveland, TN
2. Jeff Smith (# 17S) of Rocky Face, GA
3. Gar Dickson (# 60) of Flintstone, GA
4. Matthew Turner (# 10) of Dawsonville, GA
5. Lucas Burns (# 27) of Attala, AL
6. John Ownbey (# 74) of Cleveland, TN
7. Andy Pickelsimer (# 1) of Ooltewah, TN
8. Darrell Hayes (# 393 blk) of Ider, AL
9. Kasey Hall (# 38) of Geraldine, AL
10. Kip Fossett (# 66) of Guntersville, AL:
11. Robert Gant (# 22) of Pisgah, AL
12. DJ Hayes (# 393 blue) of Ider, AL
13. Jeff Fields (# 16) of Aragon, GA
- Photo2 by Ronnie Barnett