The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis team advances to 2-0 for the 2014 spring season with a 7-0 win over Lipscomb at the McCallie School tonight.
Chattanooga took the first point of the match with a clean sweep in doubles action, losing no more than three games against any of its Lipscomb opponents.
Freshman Rachele Gazzola and Junior Claire Mulyadi set the tone with their win 6-0 win over Djuknic and Troxel at No.3.
UTC’s No. 2 team of sophomore Kelsey Coots and senior Alexa Flynn followed with 6-2 a victory over Kent and Kromer earning the women’s tennis team a 1-0 advantage going into singles play.
“I thought we came out really strong in doubles and jumped on them,” head coach Jeff Clark said. “That was good to get a doubles point like we did.”
Both juniors Kaylene Chadwell and Claire Mulyadi decisively won their singles matches tonight with back-to-back 6-0 sets.
“I thought in particular Claire Mulyadi had a great match tonight. She beat a strong player, and beat her pretty convincingly.”
Sophomore Kelsey Coots found the strength to rally back to a (6-4, 7-5, 1-0 [10-6]) win over Djuknic in a super tiebreaker, finishing off Lipscomb 7-0.
Chattanooga 7, Lipscomb 0
1. Kaylene Chadwell/Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Viktoria Bjork/Deahna Welcher (LIP) – 6-3
2. Kelsey Coots/Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIP) – 6-2
3. Rachele Gazzola/Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Lorena Djuknic/Melissa Troxel (LIP) – 6-0
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Deahna Welcher (LIP) – 6-3, 7-5
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Melissa Kromer (LIP) – 6-0, 6-0
3. Alexa Flynn (UTC) def. Laura Kent (LIP) – 6-2, 6-4
4. Kelsey Coots (UTC) def. Lorena Djuknic (LIP) – 6-4, 5-7, 1(10-6)-0
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Jenny Borck (LIP) – 6-0, 6-0
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Melissa Troxel (LIP) – 6-2, 6-4