The Lamp Post Group is expanding into an additional downtown building with the purchase of Cooper's Office Supply at 715 Cherry St.
The Cooper family operated the business for 79 years prior to a merger with Chattanooga Office Supply in 2010.
George Cooper was leading the company at the time. Other family members include David, Clint, Jan and Charles.
The Lamp Post Group aids venture capitalists and operates business incubators for start--up firms.
It began operations in the Loveman's Building and is expanding into the former Ross Hotel on Georgia Avenue.
The sale was for $750,000.
Cooper's Office Supply was founded by George Cooper Jr. in 1931 in the Loveman's Building. The firm acquired 717 Cherry St. in 1938 and 715 Cherry in 1972.