The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team scored a 5-2 win over Lipscomb at the Strang-Voges Tennis Center in Chattanooga tonight. It was the second win in as many matches for the Mocs this spring.
The Bison only traveled with five players, but still presented a challenge to UTC, who is now 11-0 in the series. Chattanooga split the doubles matches but won the point after a forfeit at No. 3. Senior Samantha Caswell and freshman Emma van Hee scored a 6-3 victory at No.
The Mocs went up 2-0 following a forfeit at No. 6 and made it 3-0 when junior Tamri Chalaganidze won 6-1, 6-4 at No. 5.
Lipscomb got on the board with a win at No. 1 and closed the gap to 3-2 with a three-setter at No. 4. Junior Caroline Hall closed out the match with a 7-5, 6-2 win at No. 3.
It was a great win today,” stated UTC head coach Chad Camper. “Even though Lipscomb only had five players to compete, we knew their doubles was really good. For Emma Van Hee and Samantha Caswell to step up the way they did was great.
“The singles was gritty. It came down to Caroline Hall winning the match for us with her experience and Tamri getting her first college win.
“It was just a great day.”
Up next for the Mocs is a Feb. 3 trip to Alabama, which is the start of three-straight away from Chattanooga. The Mocs are back home on Feb. 11, hosting UT Martin at Manker-Patten at 4:00 p.m.
Chattanooga 4, Lipscomb 2
Jan 27, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Strang-Voges Tennis Center)
1. Samantha Caswell/Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Madeleine Brooks/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 6-3
2. Kateryna Popva/Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Delaney Edwards/Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-2
3. Caroline Hall/Sydney Patton (UTC) def. No player/No player (LIP), by forfeit
1. Kateryna Popva (LIP) def. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Delaney Edwards (UTC) vs. Madeleine Brooks (LIP) 6-7 (7-9), 4-4, unfinished
3. Caroline Hall (UTC) def. Denise Buberl (LIP) 7-5, 6-2
4. Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
5. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) def. Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
6. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. No player (LIP), by forfeit