UTC's Van Hee Scores Win At Clemson
Monday, February 19, 2018
For the second time this season, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women’s tennis freshman Emma Van Hee scored a win in a dual against a Power-5 opponent. Van Hee posted UTC’s lone point in a 6-1 loss at Clemson.
Van Hee took a three-set win earlier in the season at Alabama, and did it again today against the Tigers’ junior Ally Miller-Krasilnikov. Van Hee won the first set [7-6 (9)] in a tiebreaker, but dropped the second 6-3. Since the team score was decided, they played a 10-point, super-breaker for the third set. Van Hee won that frame 10-7.
A native of Tournai, Belgium, Van Hee has won five matches in a row. Today’s win at No.
5 moves her spring record to 4-0.
The Mocs were close at No. 4 where junior Tamri Chalaganidze lost in three sets. Senior Samantha Caswell battled back after dropping her first set at No. 1, but eventually lost the second in a tiebreaker.
The opening doubles point was a tight affair, with the Mocs falling 6-4 at No. 3. Freshman Bogdana Zaporozhets and junior Delaney Edwards were leading 4-3 when Clemson clinched the point.
“Our first outdoor match of the year went well,” stated head coach Chad Camper. “Emma continues to impress and Tamri is showing the team how to fight. The loose ends are getting tied up and the competition continues to stay tough going into next weekend.”
The Mocs are back on the road next weekend with two matches in Murfreesboro, Tenn. UTC takes on MTSU on Friday, Feb. 23, at 6:00 p.m. (E.S.T.). The Mocs then take on Tulane on Saturday, Feb. 24, at 11:00 a.m.
Clemson 6, Chattanooga 1
Feb 18, 2018 at Anderson, S.C. (AU Tennis Center)
1. Fernanda Navarro/Constanza Gorches (CU) def. Samantha Caswell/Emma Van Hee (UTC) 6-1
2. Bogdana Zaporozhets/Delaney Edwards (UTC) def. A Miller-Krasilnikov/Tate Schroeder (CU) 4-3
3. Daniela Ruiz/Sydney Riley (CU) def. Caroline Hall/Annie Tarwater (UTC) 6-4
1. Fernanda Navarro (CU) def. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 6-1, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Tate Schroeder (CU) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sydney Riley (CU) def. Caroline Hall (UTC) 6-4, 6-2
4. Daniela Ruiz (CU) def. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) 2-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-7)
5. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. A Miller-Krasilnikov (CU) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Constanza Gorches (CU) def. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-0, 6-0