This is a great idea and will help many students in the system. There are a few things that must be required before a student is allowed to change schools out of their zone. The following must be required, otherwise, there will be chaos.
A form must be developed with the following for each student wanting to transfer.
1. A student may not transfer if they have major discipline problems. (Fighting, drugs, disrespect to teachers etc.) Or attendance/tardy problems.
2. They must furnish their own transportation.
3. If allowed to transfer, they must make passing grades.
4. If allowed to transfer, they must maintain good attendance as per HCDE regulations. Including tardies to school.
5. A transfer student will be returned to his/her original school if in violation of any of the above rules at the end of any semester. No questions asked.
6. They must provide proof of residence with their parent or legal guardian.
The parent/guardian must sign this form at the beginning of each semester. Failure to sign this form will result in the transfer student being returned to his/her original school.
If you look at our magnet schools, they have most of the same regulations.
Let do it with these things in mind so we can keep the integrity of the schools on the receiving end of the transfer student.
As a side note, if the system decides to furnish transportation for the transfers, it will go broke in three years. Don't do it.