The University of Tennessee Extension is offering free classes for adults to improve their balance, strength and endurance on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s in April. The goal is to prevent falls.
"More than 4,500 adults in Hamilton County visit the emergency room each year due to a fall," officials said.
The classes are eight sessions each and are beginner level Tai Chi and A Matter of Balance. Both classes involve exercises, which can be done while seated.
Tai Chi classes will be held at two locations:
• St. John United Methodist Church at 3921 Murray Hills Drive (enter gym from Murray Hills Dr. entrance) from 9:30-10:30
• John A Patten Recreation Center at 3202 Kellys Ferry Road in Tiftonia from 4:30-5:30
A Matter of Balance will be held at three locations:
• St. John United Methodist Church from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
• John Patten Youth & Family Development Center from 2-4 p.m.
• Warner Park Fitness Center, 1254 E. 3rd St. (corner of Holtzclaw) from 10 a.m.-noon
Class size is limited, so registering asap is encouraged. Register one of two ways: call UT Extension at 423- 855-6113 or sign up online (click on Tai Chi and/or Matter of Balance).