Funding for home repair costs is available for low-income homeowners within the City of Dalton through the City of Dalton’s Minor Home Repair Grant Program (MHRG). The program is part of the city’s Community Development Block Grant program and it is paid for by federal grant funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development. No city taxpayer funds are used for the program. The deadline for eligible homeowners to apply is Monday, Aug. 19.
The MHRG will provide financial assistance to eligible low-income households in the form of a grant of up to $10,000 to address roofing or gutter repairs. Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. Applications can be obtained at City Hall at 300 Waugh Street at the CDBG office or online at www.cityofdalton-ga.gov (a link to applications can be found on the home page under “News About Town.”
To be eligible for the grant, applicants must:
· Own and live in the home as their principal residence and hold the warranty deed to the property;
· Be US citizens and possess valid identification;
· Not have a gross family income that exceeds 50% of the City of Dalton’s current median family income as determined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (see attached table);
· Be current on mortgage payments;
· Be current on the property’s homeowner’s insurance policy payments;
· Have all city property taxes as well as all state and federal income taxes paid;
· Have no delinquent liens or judgments on the property.
To be eligible, properties must be located within the city limits of Dalton. Properties must be owner-occupied, single family detached housing units (mixed use, non-residential, or multifamily properties are not eligible). Homes must be built after 1978 to be eligible. Heirs’ property (properties without a legally designated owner with ownership divided among descendants of the deceased owner) are not eligible.
For more information on the program, interested parties can contact the City of Dalton’s CDBG program office at 706 529-2470, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person in the Finance Office at City Hall at 300 West Waugh Street.