Two women narrowly escaped serious injuries this morning when fire broke out in their home. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm shortly before 9 a.m. and responded to 4615 Old Mission Road with five fire companies. Captain Keith Liles with Squad 13 said smoke and flames were coming out the front window and front door when the first firefighters arrived on the scene. Both of the occupants were already outside.
One of the women told firefighters that she woke up to see flames in her room. She woke up the other occupant and together they tried to put the fire out themselves using water from a sink. When they realized they couldn't get the fire out themselves, they got out. By that time, a neighbor had called 911.
One of the women received a cut and second degree burns to one of her hands. She was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Erlanger Medical Center. An estimate on the dollar loss was not available.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental. The fire investigator says a candle started the fire.
Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the fire victims. Chattanooga police also provided assistance on the scene.