The Dalton Fire Department was dispatched Friday night to a structure fire at the Sierra Place apartment complex at 906 Sierra Place for a structure fire. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to one apartment unit and there were no injuries. The affected unit was heavily damaged, ans there was smoke and water damage to one other neighboring unit.
The call was dispatched at 10:17 p.m. and firefighters were on scene at 10:20 p.m. When firefighters arrived, the fire was burning in apartment 27. There was heavy smoke coming from the front of the building and fire was found at the front of the unit. Firefighters were able to get the blaze under control in 30-40 minutes.
One resident was home at the time and there were two people in the neighboring unit. The residents were checked for smoke inhalation at the scene by EMS but none were taken to the hospital.
The fire apparently started in the kitchen on the stove. Investigators at the scene were unsure if the resident fell asleep while the stove was on or if it was inadvertently turned on.
The estimated loss in the incident was $200,000.