The Ooltewah BBQ Brawl is on Saturday, April 15, from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. at Cambridge Square in Ooltewah. And this time, "You're The Judge."
Event organizer Steve Ray said the BBQ teams participating in the contest all have impressive resumes.
"Nick Theirs, the reigning World Food Championship Chef will be competing. Three of the teams are reigning BBQ contest champions, one participant has competed in televised grilling shows and has competed at The World Food Championships.
"One team from Cleveland was invited to participate in the prestigious Jack Daniels World BBQ Championship," Mr.
And one of the teams is nationally known.
"Randall Bowman of Deep South BBQ will be competing," Mr. Ray said. "Randall is a multi-time grand champion on the Kansas City BBQ Society Tour and is also a pit builder
whose cooking devices are used by 100s of BBQ competitors."
The Ooltewah BBQ Brawl will be unique because everyone attending can sample and buy the BBQ from the teams and then vote for their favorite.
"The is a genuine BBQ smorgasbord. Each team will be selling their BBQ and samples so every person gets a chance to taste what could be the greatest gathering of BBQ in the history of Ooltewah. Maybe in the history of Hamilton County," Mr. Ray said.
In addition to the BBQ Brawl, The King of the Cul-De-Sac Steak Grilling Contest will be held the same afternoon.
"We have space for 10 contestants. Entry fee is $50 and the Champion receives a trophy and $250. So if you think you can grill the best steak, this is a great place to prove it. We're even providing the steaks," Mr. Ray said.
Ooltewah United Methodist Church will also be sponsoring and providing a Golden Egg Easter Egg Hunt for children. That event will start at 2 p.m. the afternoon of the BBQ Brawl.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
7 AM – TEAMS CAN ARRIVE TO BEGIN SET UP.
9 AM – TEAMS MEETING IN FRONT OF SHANE’S RIBS.
11 AM – GATES OPEN AND SELLING BEGINS. DON’T BE SHY AND DON’T BE BASHFUL.
1 PM – KING OF THE CUL-DE-SAC STEAK GRILLING COMP.
2 PM – CHILDEN’S EASTER EGG HUNT/OUMC
The 2017 Ooltewah BBQ Brawl at Cambridge Square Teams Roster
1. OWLS NEST BBQ – STEVE RAY, DAN GRIESS, FRANK BLAIR. OOLTEWAH, TN
2. CHATTY TOWN BBQ – WIL SMITH. CHATTANOOGA
3. 3rd Place Chicken BBQ – JIM CHENEY, BARRY PAYNE. OOLTEWAH
4. EPPY’S BBQ – JOHN EPPERSON. CHICKAMAUGA, GA
5. PO BOY’S BBQ COMPANY – RANDY DAVIS. CLEVELAND, TN.
6. DEEP SOUTH SMOKERS BBQ – RANDALL BOWMAN. CUMMING, GA.
7. B & B BBQ – BRADLEY MARKS, CHUCK STEVENS AND BRIAN WATSON. CHATTANOOGA.
8. CHEF’S BBQ – NICK THEIRS. CHATTANOOGA.
9. TWO TWINS BBQ – JIM BREWER, WILLIE SMITH. CHATTANOOGA.
10. FULL THROTTLE BBQ - DENNIS ROBY. OOLTEWAH.
11. SHANE’S RIB SHACK – CHAD COX.
2 PM - JUDGES CHAMPION JUDGING.
4 PM – ALL VOTES IN FOR PEOPLE’S CHAMPION
5 PM – AWARD CEREMONY