The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga women's tennis team scored a 5-2 win over Belmont at Manker Patten Tennis Club today. It was the season opener for the Mocs.
"Great win today," stated second-year head coach Chad Camper. "There were a lot of jitters and nerves, but we did a great job winning the doubles point.
Newcomers Tamir Chalaganidze and Emma van Hee scored a 6-3 win at No. 3, followed by juniors Caroline Hall and Sydney Patton with a 6-4 victory at No.
"Tamri and Emma winning the third dubs in their first match really set the momentum for us the rest of the day," added Camper.
Freshman Bogdana Zaporozhets kept the pressure on with a quick win at No. 4. Junior Delaney Edwardsmade it 3-0 with a win at No. 1, while Patton closed out the macth at No. 3. Belmont scored wins at No. 2 and No. 5 in three-set victories.
"Bogdana did an unbelievable job getting us the second point really quick," continued Camper. "We had to fight, Belmont is a tough team. Delaney Edwards was great, but it was a good win against a good team in the first match of the year."
Up next for the Mocs is visit from Lipscomb on Saturday, Jan. 27. Match time is set for 7:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) at the Strang-Voges Tennis Center at the McCallie School.
Chattanooga 5, Belmont 2
Jan 19, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Manker-Patten Tennis Club)
1. Delaney Edwards/Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) vs. Drew Hawkins/Erin Allen (BEL) unfinished
2. Caroline Hall/Sydney Patton (UTC) def. Maria Plaksina/Terra Sheldon (BEL) 6-4
3. Tamri Chalaganidze/Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Mical Johnson/Sarah Brackin (BEL) 6-3
1. Delaney Edwards (UTC) def. Maria Plaksina (BEL) 6-1, 7-5
2. Drew Hawkins (BEL) def. Caroline Hall (UTC) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Sydney Patton (UTC) def. Erin Allen (BEL) 7-5, 6-4
4. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) def. Sarah Brackin (BEL) 6-1, 6-0
5. Terra Sheldon (BEL) def. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) 7-6 (7-5), 5-7, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Emma Van Hee (UTC) def. Nikki Christiansen (BEL) 6-1, 6-1