The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga men’s tennis team evened its record at 1-1 with a 7-0 win over Lee University at the McCallie School’s Strang-Voges Tennis Center tonight. The Mocs took two of three doubles and all six singles in the match.
“Today was a very solid day, top to bottom,” stated first-year head coach Chuck Merzbacher. “Everyone was needing matches and they were all challenged at one point or another.”
Sophomores Niklas Gerdes and Simon Bustamante scored a win at No. 1 doubles. Junior Pablo Llebeili and freshman Luke Plaisted closed out the opening point with a win at No. 3.
UTC won in straight sets in all six singles matches. Plaisted and fellow freshmen Jacob Marshall and Cooper Long closed out the bottom half of the lineup with wins.
“I am really proud of them,” added Merzbacher. “It was a good team effort. Every match we play, I think we are getting a little bit stronger and the young guys are getting more experience.”
UTC is on the road tomorrow night at Alabama. Match time is set for 7:00 p.m. (E.S.T.) in Tuscaloosa. A link for live scoring is on the men’s tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Chattanooga 7, Lee University 0
Jan 19, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Strang-Voges Tennis Center)
1. Niklas Gerdes/Simon Bustamante (UTC) def. Rhys Milne/Bruno Medeiros (LEE) 6-2
2. Boyd Blackburn/Jake Okines (LEE) def. Jacob Marshall/Cooper Long (UTC) 6-2
3. Pablo Llebeili/Luke Plaisted (UTC) def. Daniel Prata/Igor Schattan (LEE) 6-2
1. Niklas Gerdes (UTC) def. Rhys Milne (LEE) 6-1, 6-2
2. Simon Bustamante (UTC) def. Jake Okines (LEE) 6-2, 6-4
3. Pablo Llebeili (UTC) def. Bruno Medeiros (LEE) 6-1, 6-2
4. Luke Plaisted (UTC) def. Daniel Prata (LEE) 6-0, 6-3
5. Jacob Marshall (UTC) def. Igor Schattan (LEE) 6-2, 6-1
6. Cooper Long (UTC) def. Jordan Knott (LEE) 6-3, 6-4