Chattanooga firefighters put out a house fire on E. 34th Street on Saturday morning.
a.m., units responded to a fire at 1921 E. 34th.
Upon arrival, Captain Chris Cordes with Engine 9 said the fire started in or behind the breaker box.
The firefighters managed to get the fire out in roughly 15 minutes, containing it to one room.
The occupants of the house told Captain Cordes that they were getting ready to leave the house when they heard popping and cracking sounds. When they went to the back room, they discovered a fire around the breaker box. They said they tried to put the fire out with fire extinguishers, but could not get it out, so they called 911.
Captain Cordes said one of the occupants suffered minor lacerations to his hand from breaking a window. He was treated on the scene by firefighters, but declined transport to a hospital.
The cause of the fire is being ruled accidental. The loss was estimated at $20,000. The power had to be disconnected, so volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the displaced residents.