Lindsay Street and Houston Street will be converted from one-way to two-way traffic between McCallie Avenue and East 11th Street.
The Chattanooga Department of Transportation (CDOT) will post public notice signs at each intersection on Wednesday. The traffic lanes which are to change direction will be closed starting Wednesday, April 17.
Lindsay Street will open to two-way traffic between McCallie Avenue and E 11th Street on Wednesday, May 1.
Houston Street will open to two-way traffic between McCallie Avenue and E 11th Street on Wednesday, May 8, 2019.
Officials said, "In response to recommendations of downtown planning work, most recently in the Chattanooga Forward Downtown Task Force and the City Center Plan and as far back as early 2000s, the Chattanooga Department of Transportation studied the possibility of converting the downtown one-way streets back to two-way streets.
"As the City Center Plan states, 'Two way streets reduce turning movements, vehicle miles traveled, and confusion for first time visitors, and also reduce vehicle speeds making a better walking environment for pedestrians. They also provide the economic benefit of fully visible frontages for all four corners of an intersection.'
"Based on the results of the study, CDOT will be converting Lindsay Street and Houston Street from 11th Street to McCallie Avenue from one-way to two way."
The conversion will add:
- New lane markings, signs, and traffic signals
- New on-street parking
The following schedule is subject to change due to weather or unforeseen circumstances. Information about the conversion and updates throughout the process can be found at connect.chattanooga.gov/cdottwoway
- 3/27 - Public notice signs posted at each intersection
- Lindsay St. intersections - "Lindsay Street to change to two-way on 5/1/19"
- Houston St. intersections - "Houston Street to change to two-way on 5/8/19"
- 4/17 - Lanes to change direction are closed. All sign, parking meter, and lane marking changes begin.
- 5/1 - Lindsay Street opened to 2-way traffic. Barrels will remain on the center-line for 2 weeks.
- 5/8 - Houston Street opened to 2-way traffic. Barrels will remain on the center-line for 2 weeks.