No injuries were reported in connection with a house fire Tuesday morning. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm around 9:30 a.m. and responded to 2215 Jenkins Road with five fire companies.
Captain Terri Roshell said a passing motorist apparently saw the smoke and stopped to see if anyone was inside.
The man made entry into the house, but didn't find anyone, so he got out and called 911.
Captain Roshell said smoke and flames were visible on one side of the house, and the flames were spreading into the attic. As additional firefighters arrived on the scene, they made their way into the attic and worked to get the blaze under control.
Battalion Chief David Thompson Jr. said the firefighters had to pull down much of the ceiling in an effort to get to the fire. An estimate on the dollar loss was not available.
The fire displaced two adults. Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the couple.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, most likely from an electrical malfunction.