Chattanooga firefighters responded to a house fire at 904 Linden Hall Ave. around 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
Captain George Turley with Quint 16 said light smoke was visible coming from the crawl space under the house. As more firefighters arrived on the scene, the smoke spread to a wall on the back side of the house.
The firefighters had to cut into the wall on the inside and out to get to the fire. No injuries were reported.
A young boy who lives there told firefighters that he tried to put the fire out himself with two portable fire extinguishers, but was unable to get the fire out, so he got everyone safely out of the house.
Most of the house was spared fire damage, but there was some water damage and significant damage to one wall.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, most likely from an improperly discarded cigarette. The loss is estimated at $10,000.
The fire displaces two adults and four children, who were renting the house. Volunteers with the American Red Cross were called in to provide assistance to the family.
Chattanooga Police, Hamilton County EMS and EPB all provided assistance on the scene.