Kim Bass: Electrical Safety In The Home

Tuesday, September 24, 2019 - by Kim Bass, president, Greater Chattanooga Realtors
When someone says the word “safety,” we usually think of defending ourselves against someone who means us harm. But as September and Realtor Safety Month, comes to a close, I think it’s important to think of safety inside the home, specifically electrical safety. According to The Electrical Safety Foundation International, the leading cause of home fires is due to electrical mishaps. Certain habits of homeowners may be putting their homes and themselves at risk.

It’s impossible to think of all the ways electricity has made our lives easier, and it’s something I can easily take for granted.
But there are still risks associated with electricity, no matter how familiar we are with it. A recent article from Apartment Therapy asked electricians to chime in with the most dangerous things they often see homeowners do that could be putting their home at risk, including:

Using adapters on two-prong outlets. “Three-prong outlets didn’t become standard in North American homes until the late 1960s, so while modern homes should be in good shape, there are plenty of homes out there with old two-prong outlets,” Mark Dawson, chief operating officer at Mister Sparky, told Apartment Therapy. Many new appliances use three prongs so owners may use an adapter to plug it in, but electricians warn against it. Instead, you should consider upgrading the outlet if you need to regularly use three-prong plugs.

Using loose electrical outlets. Electricians warn plugging in loose electrical outlets can lead to fires and be dangerous to others too. If the cord falls out easily, this means that the blades inside the outlet have become loose, and can now generate a lot of heat.

Using the wrong extension cords outside. Make sure the extension cord is rated for outdoor use. Otherwise, it could overheat and potentially cause a fire, electricians say. Check extension cords for letters on it. A “W” on it means it can be used outdoors; an “S” marked on the cord means its rated to be used only inside the home.

Overloading a circuit. Look for signs that you may be overloading the circuit, such as blinking or dimming lights, frequently tripped circuit breakers, discolored outlet covers, or even buzzing sounds near outlets. If you suspect an overloaded circuit, contact a licensed electrician to inquire about upgrading your panel.

Overlooking the importance of ground fault circuits. All outlets in the bathroom and kitchen should be equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. These will shut off the power when they sense water near. That could be lifesaving in avoiding an electrical shock.

Safety should always a priority, but inside your own home is a great place to start. 

Soddy Daisy Healthcare Center Sells For $16.4 Million

Real Estate Transfers For Sept. 26-Oct. 2

Kim Bass: Study Says It Costs Sellers More To Work With iBuyers


The Soddy Daisy Healthcare Center has sold for $16,412,500. The skilled care nursing home is located at 701 Sequoyah Road. The sale was to 701 Sequoyah Road Property Investment Llc from ... (click for more)

NOTICE: The Hamilton County Register’s Office did not publish this data. All information in the Register’s Office is public information as set out in T.C.A. 10-7-503. For questions regarding ... (click for more)

Home sellers who choose to sell directly to an iBuyer, such as Zillow or Opendoor, often end up paying higher fees than if they sold the traditional way with a Realtor, according to a new study ... (click for more)


Real Estate

Soddy Daisy Healthcare Center Sells For $16.4 Million

The Soddy Daisy Healthcare Center has sold for $16,412,500. The skilled care nursing home is located at 701 Sequoyah Road. The sale was to 701 Sequoyah Road Property Investment Llc from Eclipse Grace Sequoyah Road Llc. (click for more)

Real Estate Transfers For Sept. 26-Oct. 2

NOTICE: The Hamilton County Register’s Office did not publish this data. All information in the Register’s Office is public information as set out in T.C.A. 10-7-503. For questions regarding this report, please call Chattanoogan.com at 423 266-2325. GI numbers, listed when street addresses are not available, refer to the location of transactions (book number and page number) in ... (click for more)

Breaking News

Mac Taggart Shot In Shoulder By Officer After Pointing Gun At Deputies At Charleston, Tn.

A man was shot in the shoulder by a police officer at Charleston, Tn., early Sunday after a domestic disturbance call. At approximately 2 a.m., Bradley County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a 911 call near Laguna Drive in Charleston. Lance Leroy MacTaggart has been taken into custody on four counts of aggravated assault. While the victim sought medical treatment, deputies ... (click for more)

Woman Injured In Red Bank House Fire Saturday Evening

A woman was injured in a house fire Saturday evening in Red Bank. A 911 call was made reporting a house fire at 133 Flora Circle. At 6:30 p.m., Red Bank Fire Department responded to the scene and arrived reporting heavy smoke and fire on the back of the residence. The Red Bank Fire Department immediately requested a mutual aid response for additional manpower. The Signal ... (click for more)

Opinion

Ignored By The Water Company

How much time do you spend at Tennessee American Water's website? It is worthless for online reporting problems. Replies? Never happen. Communication? They appear to consciously avoid honest communication with concerned citizens. This "Opinion Page" is an avenue of last resort to report a problem, because no one is trying to listen at Tennessee American Water. ... (click for more)

Roy Exum: Let’s Start With Truth

By all accounts the public schools in Chattanooga and Hamilton County are far from what the average taxpayer would want them to be. Our schools are our number one priorities, this easily reflected by the fact they now receive over 60 percent of the total county budget -- the most money ever allocated to public education in history -- and the unbridled desire of our booming area ... (click for more)