One person was injured when fire broke out in a duplex Wednesday night in East Lake. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm at 11:53 p.m. on Wednesday and responded to the 4800 block of General Thomas Boulevard with several fire companies.
When the first firefighters arrived on the scene, Captain Chris Cordes with Engine 9 said a significant fire was located in the kitchen in Apartment A.
While firefighters with Engine 9 worked to put the fire out, the other fire companies that arrived on the scene conducted primary and secondary searches and found no one inside. Battalion Chief Ashley May, the incident commander, said one resident was transported by Hamilton County EMS to a local hospital for smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.
The fire was beginning to spread into the attic, but the firefighters managed to get the fire under control quickly.
The cause of this fire has been ruled accidental, from food being left unattended on the stove.