#5-ranked Dalton State saw their season come to an abrupt end with a 4-1 loss to (RV) St. Thomas (Fla.) in the Lawrenceville Regional of the NAIA Opening Round in Lawrenceville on Thursday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- (1-0 STU) STU: Alvaro Bode hit a cross that Joaquin Domber hit through center net in the 12'.
- (2-0 STU) STU: Bode was part of the next goal but he received a one timer from Federico Landaburu in the 63'.
- (3-0 STU) STU: With DS at 10 men after a red card on Aaron Friare, the Bobcats hit on a 2v1 as Luis Stalin Munoz hit Nico Bolger who put it past a freshly entered Kieran Hodges in net in the 75'.
- (4-0 STU) STU: The 80' saw St.
Thomas extended the lead to 4 goals when Noah Tolcachier put a move on a defender and curled it inside the left post.
- (4-1 STU) DS: Guilherme Franca gathered a ball off a defender and fired from the 18 in the 82' to cut the deficit to 3.
THE REST OF THE STORY
#5 Dalton State (Ga.) falls to 12-1-1 overall with the loss, while (RV) St. Thomas (Fla.) improves to 12-5-1 overall with the win and advances to play the winner of Georgia Gwinnett and Milligan (Tenn.). Guilherme Franca collected the Roadrunner goal and recorded two other shots. Santiago Moore tied Franca in total shots with 3 and put 2 on frame.
BY THE NUMBERS
There were 7 total cards shown in the match with DS collecting 4 and STU 3. The Bobcats held the advantage in overall shots at 11-6 and in shots on goal at 5-3.
The #5 Roadrunners end their historic season with a record of 12-1-1.