McCallie School has been recognized by Newsweek Magazine, Newsweek.com and STEM.org for having one of the top STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) programs in the nation.
The ranking by Newsweek included the 5,000 high schools with the best STEM programs around the country, and McCallie was rated 68th place. By a wide margin, McCallie was the top STEM school in Tennessee, the 21st best among private schools nationally, and the 6th best among boarding schools nationally.
“The Newsweek ranking is a public acknowledgment of something that alumni and parents have known for a long time: that McCallie School is one of the best schools in the nation, with extraordinary teachers and talented boys of good character,” said Headmaster Lee Burns.
Newsweek teamed with STEM.org to conduct the review of top STEM programs in the United States. “America is a nation of entrepreneurs and innovators, and our economic vitality and national security depend on our sustaining that vibrant culture,” the online magazine said. “STEM – these are the fields in which our children need to be fluent.”
In the scoring, from 1 to 100, McCallie scored 95.62.
"About half of the schools that scored higher than McCallie are charter or magnet schools that were specifically created to teach science, technology, engineering and math. McCallie, on the other hand, has a well-rounded curriculum," Burns said. “Just look at the recognition that our arts and music programs have received over the years, or the equally impressive deference that top colleges and universities give to our liberal arts programs. And we can’t forget our athletic successes – for example, Cross Country just won the State, and Football will play in the championship game Thursday night.”
McCallie’s strong elements of its STEM program include the following:
- McCallie offers students four years (six classes) of post-Calculus BC in our math department.
- McCallie’s new Science and Engineering building, Walker Hall, includes an Innovation Lab, an Engineering Lab, a Cell Culture Lab, and a Global Conference Center, in addition to state-of-the-art Biology, Chemistry, and Physics Labs.
- Several McCallie students are engaged in various independent science research projects with university professors across the country.
- McCallie’s Advanced Placement results in math and science are very strong, and students have earned national recognition over the years for their science and math achievements.
- McCallie students have taken the top overall prizes in several recent years in regional science fairs, followed by presentations at the International Science and Engineering Fair.
- McCallie’s CAVE (Center for Animation, Video and Entertainment) offers students a technologically-rich environment for video and digital design and production.
- Coding, programming, robotics and virtual reality are important parts of MCallie’s curriculum and pedagogy.
- McCallie students have bred, raised and studied thousands of jellyfish in our marine biology lab.
- McCallie teachers have been selected for and participated in outstanding professional development opportunities around the world in recent years.
“These great teachers, programs and facilities are the reason we are now receiving national recognition and are able to compete with the finest schools around the country,” Burns said.
The Newsweek school listing here.