Creative Discovery Museum Will Host Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit From May 25 Through Sept. 8
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Creative Discovery Museum (CDM) will host Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit, an exhibit based on The Jim Henson Company’s popular PBS KIDS TV series, from May 25 through Sept. 8, 2019. Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit, created by The Magic House in collaboration with The Jim Henson Company, features a curious Tyrannosaurus Rex named Buddy who travels the world to discover everything there is to know about dinosaurs. This new exhibit will transport kids back to the time of dinosaurs and encourage basic scientific learning through fun, hands-on activities.
“CDM is very excited to host Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit this summer,” said Henry Schulson, executive director at CDM.
“For many young people, this unique, interactive exhibit could be the educational catalyst that sparks a life-long interest in science and natural history.”
Dinosaur Train embraces and celebrates the fascination that kids have with both dinosaurs and trains, while encouraging basic scientific thinking skills. Kids will be able to join Buddy and his adoptive Pteranodon family on a whimsical journey to unearth basic concepts in life science, natural history and paleontology. As children and families make their way through the exhibit, they will explore five distinct areas:
• Nest: Dress up and pretend to be a member of the Pteranodon family, snuggle in soft leaf-shaped pillows to read Dinosaur Train books, and pose for a photo with Mrs. Pteranodon.
• Train Station: Visit the ticket booth to get a ticket specific to one of the three time periods of the Mesozoic Era, decorate your very own Junior Conductor hat and wear it with pride, and dance to some of Buddy’s favorite songs from the show – "I’m a T-Rex" and "Great Big Stomping Dinosaur Feet."
• Dinosaur Train: Watch a video and learn how a steam engine works, pull the cord of the train’s whistle to alert passengers that the train is leaving the station, and invite a friend to play a hands-on Dinosaur Train board game.
• Junior Conductor Academy: Tap the letter of the “Dinosaurs A to Z” display to flip screen and see and hear the dinosaurs name, compare the size of your femur with that of an Apatosaurus, feed three dinosaur based on their three different diets, and make foot print impressions by pressing fossil stones into clay.
• Big Pond: Explore, dig, and make discoveries using paleontology brushes along the perimeter of the beach, go on a scavenger hunt to identify animals that lived alongside the dinosaurs from various animal families, crawl through a tree trunk, and cook a Pteranodon family feast of fish over the fire.
The Museum will host Dinosaur Train: The Traveling Exhibit through Sept. 8. Local sponsorship for this exhibit is provided by the First Tennessee Foundation and Little Debbie. National sponsorship of the exhibit is provided by The Boeing Company, the Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis, Sally and Bill Canfield, the Crawford Taylor Foundation, Judy and Jerry Kent, Monsanto Company and Sigma-Aldrich. For more information, visit www.cdmfun.org.