The Chattanooga Mocs women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision on the road at Mercer on Saturday afternoon in the Southern Conference opener for both teams in Macon, Ga.
Following the loss, Chattanooga falls to 11-3 on the season and 0-1 in league play. Mercer improves to 7-6 on the season and 1-0 inside conference play.
Mercer grabbed a 1-0 lead in doubles play after claiming wins at No. 2 and No. 3 despite the Mocs earning a 6-2 decision at No. 1 singles. Caroline Gibbens and Jessie Young provided the victory at the top tandem.
In singles action, Lucia Garrigues-Melendez provided a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 win at No.
4 while Rozalie Dohnalova earned a 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5) victory at No. 5 singles to provide the Mocs its second team point. The duo of Garrigues-Melendez and Dohnalova have each won their last six singles matchups and carry a combined 24-8 record in singles this season.
Chattanooga quickly returns to action tomorrow, Sunday, March 19, when the squad travels to Clemson, S.C., to take on ACC-member Clemson. First serve is set for 4 p.m. ET. The match will carry LIVE VIDEO and LIVE STATS with links available on the schedule page.
Mercer 5, Chattanooga 2
3/18/2023 at Macon, Ga. (LeRoy Peddy Tennis Center)
1. Teodora Ristic (MER-W) def. Jessie Young (UTC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mary Courville (MER-W) def. Caroline Gibbens (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Eden Schlagenhauf (MER-W) def. Nicole Abel (UTC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
4. Lucia Garrigues-Melendez (UTC) def. Marina Quinones (MER-W) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Rozalie Dohnalova (UTC) def. Camilla Ciaccia (MER-W) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Kristin Yordanova (MER-W) def. Callie Billman (UTC) 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-6)
1. Caroline Gibbens/Jessie Young (UTC) def. Camilla Ciaccia/Eden Schlagenhauf (MER-W) 6-2
2. Mary Courville/Teodora Ristic (MER-W) def. Nicole Abel/Lucia Melendez (UTC) 6-1
3. Marina Quinones/Kristin Yordanova (MER-W) def. Rozalie Dohnalova/Callie Billman (UTC) 6-4