A 16-year-old girl was burned Sunday night when a pan of grease ignited on the stove. The Chattanooga Fire Department received the alarm just before 7 p.m. and responded to 2626 N. Orchard Knob Avenue with four fire companies.
Captain Will Andrews with Engine 4 said the teen tried to put the grease fire out by putting water on it. As a result, she had first- and second-degree burns to both hands, a wrist and her right leg. She was transported by Hamilton County EMS to Erlanger Medical Center, and later flown to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga. Her injuries were not thought to be life-threatening.
Captain Andrews said the fire was already out when firefighters arrived. The loss was estimated at $2,000. Lt. Andrew Waters with the Fire Investigation Division said the cause of the fire will be ruled accidental, most likely from unattended cooking.
The Chattanooga Fire Department has offered safety tips related to grease fires in recent months, but it bears repeating again:
- Never leave cooking unattended on the stove.
- Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is cool.
- Never pour water on a grease fire and never discharge a fire extinguisher onto a pan fire, as it can spray or shoot burning grease around the kitchen, actually spreading the fire.
- If in doubt about your ability to put the fire out, just get everyone out of the building and call 911.